Do I need a Gunsmith Certification to get my FFL?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Do I need a Gunsmith Certification to get my FFL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

Default Do I need a Gunsmith Certification to get my FFL?

I went to The Colorado School Of Trades for Gunsmithing. Its a fourteen month course, four to five days a week, eight hours a day. In my thirteenth month there I was dropped from the program due to attendance, blowing my opportunity for my certification. I missed too many hours due to family and financial issues. I passed all the courses (basic tooling, cycle of operations, welding, machine shop, stocks, and R&D), the only thing i missed was my final project and the final written test. Any yes I am furious with myself, but whats done is done.
I have been doing work for family, friends, and friends of friends for two years now doing repairs, stock refinishes, pillar bedding, trigger jobs, sights and scopes, and cleanings. But I am getting to the point that I am running out of jobs unless I start handing out business cards and taking jobs from people I dont know, which I think I need a FFL to do so.
So can I get my FFL without my Gunsmith Certification?
And even if I can I still want the Certification, so are any of these online Gunsmith Program Certifications worth the time and money? this is one I found online http://www.becomeagunsmith.com
And finally I found this site http://www.gunsmithffl.com , is a FFL "kit" worth the money?
Sorry for the lengthy post, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

If you are engaged in the business of gunsmithing and you house other peoples guns over night, or a series of nights, days, weeks, months, years, while you work on them, you are currently in violation of the federal gun laws pertaining to gun dealers.

You need an FFL as a gunsmith.

Now, I would send those guns, to their owners yesterday, and get your horse in front of the cart, before you go to federal prison doing time for gun crimes.

Last edited by AR10; 05-15-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8927 Times on 3868 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

What he said up there ^^^. And there is no requirement to have a cert from a gunsmithing school to get a FFL.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith1883 View Post
And even if I can I still want the Certification, so are any of these online Gunsmith Program Certifications worth the time and money? this is one I found online http://www.becomeagunsmith.com
And finally I found this site http://www.gunsmithffl.com , is a FFL "kit" worth the money?
Sorry for the lengthy post, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
They do assist in getting your FFL, but why not get most of the same information directly from the BATF?

They can and will answer your questions without charging additional fees.

If you get the kit, you have to lay out money for the kit and the license. By using the BATF, you only lay out for the license.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Other than information the online courses are useless. As stated above go through the atf and check your state and local laws and ordinances to gaurantee compliance before you apply for the ffl.
Your skill level is already well beyond anything the online courses can give you short of maybe a bit more info on the ffl application process.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok, I will contact the BATF today.
I definitely do not want to violate any laws, I do not currently have anybody else's firearms in my possession for that reason. As soon as I started reading about the laws on working on other people's firearms and storing them I closed up shop. I never considered I was violating any laws because all the jobs I've done were favors for friends. I only accepted money for two jobs to cover the materials. So until I have my FFL I am done.
Thank you for the advice.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

The problem I've had working on friends and relatives guns is that everyone thinks they should get a "break" on parts cost and free labor.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't mind doing the work for friends and family for free because most of them were the ones that sparked my interest in firearms to begin with. I have a full time and part time job that pays the bills, so most of the work I did was a hobby and something I enjoy doing. Unfortunately once I get going again, I'm afraid they will keep expecting the free labor.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I contacted the BATFE Denver office, they are mailing the FFL application packet to me.