Dialysis patient interested in gunsmithing. Got some questions.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Dialysis patient interested in gunsmithing. Got some questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dialysis patient interested in gunsmithing. Got some questions.

Hi everyone. Please see my intro for more info on me.

I'm a dialysis patient. Briefly, if you aren't aware, dialysis treatments happen 3 times a week (e.g., Mon, Wed, Fri) and each treatment takes about 4 hours. I am disabled from my previous profession because of kidney failure. I'm only 5'4" tall. My hands are not particularly strong. I don't have any experience machining or gunsmithing. However, I've got nothing but time on my hands (except for dialysis treatments), I'm artistic, have good visuospatial skills, am good at math, enjoy attending to details, and I love guns. It's been a dream to work with guns everyday. If I did end up working as a gunsmith, it would be part-time or as a hobby. I want to go to gunsmithing school to get a formal education and hands on training.

From what I've told you about myself so far, do you think I should give up my dream? Or should I make plans to pursue it? My fear is though I may be cut out for it mentally, maybe I'll have trouble physically because I'm not a strapping lad and I do have high priority medical treatments that eat up a significant chunk of time. I'm grateful for anyone's advice/suggestions, especially those who could make an educated guess about the difficulties someone in my position might face.

Raj

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

If its has been your dream, the do it. I wouldn't think gunsmithing would require a lot of strength. Go for it!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

And I hope it turns out well for ya.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks towboater. I appreciate the encouragement.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

If it requires pure raw brute force- you are probably doing it wrong.

Funny how many things that applies to, isn't it?

Start by reading. Find yourself a true gunsmith that needs a shop rat- and apprentice yourself out. Sweep shop. Sort parts. Study everything you can find on metals, metal working, machine tools (lathes and millers for a start) welding, woodworking.

While you are hooked up for dialysis you have time to kill. Quit watching Jerry Springer and start studying- and good luck to you!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #6

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Sometimes (but seldom) strength is required. Sounds to me that you might make a good engraver. Two things needed for engraving are alot of time and artistic talents.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

There are not too many good engravers around anymore that have artistic talent.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

The only aspect of working on firearms thatrequires strength is swapping barrels out. The tools to do it are heavy and using them requires hand strength.

Other than that gunsmithing is very closely related to watch making, attention to fine detail when fitting small parts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #9

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

No reason you can't follow you're dream.If you can take down a pistol to clean you can gunsmith.There are plenty of classes and courses available that would fit you're schedule. Let us know how ya make out on the road to education and have fun.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #10

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Sometimes (but seldom) strength is required. Sounds to me that you might make a good engraver. Two things needed for engraving are alot of time and artistic talents.
The first thing that popped into my head.

Both metal engraving, checkering, and stock making and checkering could be done. Well made grips for pistols could be done on a hobby basis.