Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Dialysis patient interested in gunsmithing. Got some questions. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/dialysis-patient-interested-gunsmithing-got-some-questions-76912/)

francisarsenic 11-23-2012 02:43 AM

Dialysis patient interested in gunsmithing. Got some questions.

Hi everyone. Please see my intro for more info on me.

I'm a dialysis patient. Briefly, if you aren't aware, dialysis treatments happen 3 times a week (e.g., Mon, Wed, Fri) and each treatment takes about 4 hours. I am disabled from my previous profession because of kidney failure. I'm only 5'4" tall. My hands are not particularly strong. I don't have any experience machining or gunsmithing. However, I've got nothing but time on my hands (except for dialysis treatments), I'm artistic, have good visuospatial skills, am good at math, enjoy attending to details, and I love guns. It's been a dream to work with guns everyday. If I did end up working as a gunsmith, it would be part-time or as a hobby. I want to go to gunsmithing school to get a formal education and hands on training.

From what I've told you about myself so far, do you think I should give up my dream? Or should I make plans to pursue it? My fear is though I may be cut out for it mentally, maybe I'll have trouble physically because I'm not a strapping lad and I do have high priority medical treatments that eat up a significant chunk of time. I'm grateful for anyone's advice/suggestions, especially those who could make an educated guess about the difficulties someone in my position might face.

Raj

towboater 11-23-2012 02:47 AM

If its has been your dream, the do it. I wouldn't think gunsmithing would require a lot of strength. Go for it!!!

towboater 11-23-2012 02:48 AM

And I hope it turns out well for ya.

francisarsenic 11-23-2012 03:09 AM

Thanks towboater. I appreciate the encouragement.

c3shooter 11-23-2012 12:07 PM

If it requires pure raw brute force- you are probably doing it wrong.

Funny how many things that applies to, isn't it? :D

Start by reading. Find yourself a true gunsmith that needs a shop rat- and apprentice yourself out. Sweep shop. Sort parts. Study everything you can find on metals, metal working, machine tools (lathes and millers for a start) welding, woodworking.

While you are hooked up for dialysis you have time to kill. Quit watching Jerry Springer and start studying- and good luck to you!

hiwall 11-23-2012 12:15 PM

Sometimes (but seldom) strength is required. Sounds to me that you might make a good engraver. Two things needed for engraving are alot of time and artistic talents.

danf_fl 11-23-2012 12:59 PM

There are not too many good engravers around anymore that have artistic talent.

JonM 11-23-2012 01:05 PM

The only aspect of working on firearms thatrequires strength is swapping barrels out. The tools to do it are heavy and using them requires hand strength.

Other than that gunsmithing is very closely related to watch making, attention to fine detail when fitting small parts.

SigArmored 11-24-2012 01:57 AM

No reason you can't follow you're dream.If you can take down a pistol to clean you can gunsmith.There are plenty of classes and courses available that would fit you're schedule. Let us know how ya make out on the road to education and have fun.

SSGN_Doc 11-24-2012 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 1024256)
Sometimes (but seldom) strength is required. Sounds to me that you might make a good engraver. Two things needed for engraving are alot of time and artistic talents.

The first thing that popped into my head.

Both metal engraving, checkering, and stock making and checkering could be done. Well made grips for pistols could be done on a hobby basis.