Designing a Workstation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Designing a Workstation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Designing a Workstation

Hi all,

I'm a design student at the University of Cincinnati, and for a case study, hope to design a workstation appropriate for gun repair and smithing.

I do have a personal interest in firearms, although my experience only goes as far as firing at a range and working on gas powered airsoft guns.

I have a survey that I would very much appreciate any of you filling out. It's short - 28 fairly straightforward questions.

There's some space for comments; the things I'd really like to know about are the frustrations you have, the things that always break/get lost, etc. as the ultimate goal here is to make your professional time spent more comfortable and efficient.

If there's anything else you'd like to tell me about, please feel free to give me some feedback here as well.

link to the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NJGQLMV

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

You can do a search for JOhn Brownings workshop and see the bench of the greatest gunsmith of them all. Incidently its just a solid wood table with a couple of drawers, and a mishmash of tools on top. Pretty anti climatic, but you might take a look

Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

Thanks triggerjob. John Browning's workshop looks pretty classic, and I think a solid wooden table is what I'm headed towards. I don't want this to be some swiss-army-knife multi-solution table.

I've just updated my survey with a few more important questions. I could use a lot more input, please pass on the survey if you can.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Initial thoughts:

A bench needs to be longer than a Mosin Nagant, solid enough to support an anvil, it needs to mount a good vise. It needs to have a piece of carpet that can be removed and cleaned (whether it needs it or not) It needs some sort of tool storage above the bench but within reach from the center, while seated. A chemical resistant surface is nice, even if it just expoy paint. It needs to have an excellent light source, a jewelers lighted magnifier is ideal. The bench needs a clear space all around that you can find a spring when they go airborne. It is hell trying to find a spring in boxes of junk. The bench needs a mechanic's magnetic parts tray handy.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

Chainfire, that was extremely helpful.

May I ask what the piece of carpet is for? Would it act as padding when placing a gun on the table, punching pins, etc. or..?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandusbp

May I ask what the piece of carpet is for? Would it act as padding when placing a gun on the table, punching pins, etc. or..?

Thanks
All of them things and to also catch all them little pieces, stopping them from flyin to god knows where. An old steel factory work bench works great.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Maybe a piece of pegboard at the back of the bench?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #8

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell_Sackett
Maybe a piece of pegboard at the back of the bench?
Thats what i got on mine and i like your handle tell

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I thought having a piece of peg board was some kind of a law. You mean people somehow manage to get along without them? I've got a peg board, and I don't even have a shop to put it in!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8810 Times on 5094 Posts
Likes Given: 11483

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandusbp View Post

Thanks
The carpet is a good soft work pad. It serves many purposes. I would also recommend that the piece of carpet be a very short pile and light in color (even white) so you can easily find small screws and such. Dark and deep pile carpet makes this difficult.

The bench top should be a good hardwood surface. Butcher block would be ideal in my mind. My workbench serves as my reloading bench, and steel is not a good idea due to the potential for sparks. A rim on it that will not allow small parts to roll off the bench would be ideal in my mind. My bench is a slab of Douglas Fir that was milled with a chainsaw. It has character, but it is not ideal (though things don't roll very far on the rough surface).

Have a pegboard back wall as mentioned by Tell Sackett. There is a magnet tool-holding bar on one side.

Mine is pretty rudimentary but I am a hobbyist.