Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Deactivated weapons made to fire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Deactivated weapons made to fire?

Is it possible to fix a deactivated weapon so it can fire again?
I've heard that "Deactivation" in some weapons consists of using a cutting torch to cut a slit in the breach...is this fixable?

Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #2

With a good machine shop, most anything is possible. Including 20 years in a Federal pen.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You could very easily clean the edges of the hole with a file or grinder, then weld it back up and machine it flush. It would be important to keep the alloys near identical to ensure consistent expansion and pressure tolerances. It would also be very important to get the proper paperwork and permits to avoid prison time. It usually isn't worth the time and effort because you can probably purchase the weapon in non-demilled form with the proper paperwork.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #4

Before we get too far into legalities on this issue, are you talking about a deactivated full auto or just a dewat'ed semi-auto, repeater or such?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadin View Post
Before we get too far into legalities on this issue, are you talking about a deactivated full auto or just a dewat'ed semi-auto, repeater or such?
Wouldn't that also require similar paperwork, or would that just be repairing a damaged firearm?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:41 AM   #6

One would be "making" a full auto which requires all kind of paperwork, if possible at all with a dewat. I would imagine you would need a manufacturers license at the very least. It couldn't be put on the "Register"
The other would, at the most, be "making" a regular firearm which is legal for personal use. You just couldn't dispose (sell, give away, etc.) of it.

All this said, once a torch has hit the receiver, unless you are an expert metallurgist, getting the temper/hardness back to where it should be would be a real pain.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You really would need to be an expert metallurgist, welder and machinist.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #8

Well, maybe you wouldn't need to be that expert as long as you have a good medical plan and wouldn't miss an eye or finger or hand, etc.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #9

I'm talking about a Semi-Automatic Rifle,I'm not sure how it's been deactivated,but before I order it (Tokarev-SVT-40) I want to know if it can be repaired or not,in a worse case scenario

Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
in a worse case scenario
Probably not succesfully. I've seen deactivations where the barrel is welded shut and then welded to the receiver. Then the face of the bolt is cut off. I even saw a Reising where the entire ejection port was welded shut.