Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Darkening Laminate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Darkening Laminate

Got some good tips already from the group on finishing a lam stock but one thing I need to know is how to darken the dang thing.

Got my stock from Richards and its supposed to be red and black lam, but it came more in a grey and pink color!!!!!! PINK! so my guess is in the finishing it will darken, but I am looking for a product to darken it up more before i put the protective finish on. Or do I need to get ahold of Richards and see why my stock is Pink......

Why pink any color but pink!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What if you work on it and it DOESN'T darken? Then you're screwed and can't return it. I would call them and arrange to get it swapped out if I were you.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you use a truoil finish it will really darken up.

To see what color your going to get (Or close to it) take a damp towel and wet the stock that should be close to the color when you get it finished.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

It will turn"red", don't panic yet. As Tango mentioned, Tru- Oil will darken it up, a wet rag will give you an indication of how much. Mineral spirits will give a better idea of what the end result will be than water, but water will give you a close idea. Relax, I know how you feel about pink stocks. Mine from Richards looks the same way.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you like "dark pink?"

Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Well I tried the water method and it did darken, but its not the vivid black and red like the sample on Richards website looks. I will dab a bit of mineral spirits on it when I get a chance to pick some up this afternoon. One issue is I was not going to use tru-oil since I want a high gloss finish.

I certainly want red and not a dark pink so I will try the spirits and if it doesnt look RED i will call Richards Monday and see what they say. For all I know the Tru oil will do the trick,but like I said I wasnt planning on going that route and I just dont want to apply a finish and not be able to return it.

Last edited by bessemerbob; 03-27-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I never used Tru oil so cannot comment on it but BLO (boiled linseed oil) darkens wood nicely over time. If you decide to take that stock and want it to darken, apply BLO as your first 2 coats before applying Tru Oil.

Applying oil finish also require the the best surface prep you can give it prior. Sand it well, steel wool 0000-grit, then micromesh if you have access to it (it goes down to 12,000 grit or 2 microns ). It is expensive but lasts very long with proper care. If you want to see what it can do, check the hobbies thread in the bunker.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

BLO is a PITMFA

You apply once a day for a month then once a week for two months then once a month for a year then once a year forever... NO THANKS.

I used some deft spray lacqure on one stock I did. have you thought about applying a wood conditioner to the stock before you finish it?

That might help darken it up a little.

I have seen a couple of stocks done with arrow and they look great.
Advanced Arrow Wood Finish 4 oz

I have also heard of using automotive urethane paint. Namely NAPA Crossfire clear.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #9

I would say the stocks on the website were done with automotive clear coat. If you google "finishing laminate stock" or something like that, you will find several tutorials about using high solids fillers, when to sand and crap like that. Maybe some of the body work or car guys could explain it better.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #10

Thanks for all the advise guys, Ill give them a call in the morning to see what they say. Most likely I am over reacting but then again its freaking PINK….