Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Dan Wesson .357 revolver Feed issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dan Wesson .357 revolver Feed issues

Hey guys just looking for a little direction here. I have a full size Dan Wesson .357. Its my grandfathers and Im trying to see if i can get it functioning better. For all I know this gun hasnt ben fired for quite some time. What Ive been able to determine is that the cylinder feeding arm is not rotating the cylinder when the hammer is pulled back. This isnt a constant problem but it causes the revolver to be unrelieable and not generally fun to shoot. The cylinder locking mechanism seems to be rubbing the blueing off the cylinder as well. Possibly this is a worn spring issue, but unfortunately I am not certain. I have oiled, cleaned, oiled, cleaned, taken apart.....etc. This gun looks immaculate, but it keeps me thinking it is an internal issue. Any information or wisdom is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #2

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Stop by and introduce yourself at the Intro section, and Welcome to FTF!

It sounds like the hand is worn on this revolver. It needs to go to a smith unless you feel like doing it yourself, in which case you can find some How-to's on youtube.
The other thing you mentioned, I'm not too sure about. Is it leaving a ring around the cylinder? If that's the case, I'm not sure how to repair that, or even if that's normal. I have a ring around my cylinder on my S&W, but it functions fine and locks up tight, so I haven't worried about it.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/danwesson_large-frame.pdf

Part #38 in the schematic on the last page is the "hand"; does that look like the problem (seems most likely).

My Ruger GP100 has slowly formed a cylinder ring with use.

Personally, with such a fine revolver at stake, i would not hesitate to take it to a reputable gunsmith.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.