customizing mausers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > customizing mausers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default customizing mausers

hi all, I'm new here so I hope I never ruffle any feathers. I've been customizing/modifing m98,yugos,vz24s, and k.kale turks for a spell. Does anyone else do this? Dave

:D when in doubt, back up and punt:cool:

Last edited by fireball 3; 07-06-2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #2

Yup. A quite rewarding hobby. I have built a couple in 270 Win, .30-06, and 308 Win.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #3

here is just a few I've built. Dave
the top one is a 300win mag/8mm-300win mag
the center one is a 243 bullbarrel
the bottm was my first, a 8mm-06 on modfied mil stock.It's a 29" k.kale turk. Dave

Last edited by fireball 3; 07-07-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have one that has been a work in progress for 10 years. I have got to get off my rear and get that done..

Nice looking rifles.

-Bidah

Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 AM   #5

Default customizing mausers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
I have one that has been a work in progress for 10 years. I have got to get off my rear and get that done..

Nice looking rifles.
thanks, I'm just a novice when it comes to customizing. I just build them to do what I want them for. I'm not one for super looking rifles. In my opinion some are toonice to take to the woods. That black 243 bullbarrel tack drives 55gr noslers @ 3900-4100fps depending ion what I want it loaded for. I don't buy any factory ammo. I load all my rifles-11 to be exact. Dave

Old 10-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 98s

I used to build a lot of 98 large rings when a person could still get rough to poor complete rifles CHEAP to strip and use for base to build on. Nowdays I have to resort to getting commerical rifles in poor shape to build. Commerical actions need a lot less work to properly sporterize-thus more profit,but I still keep my eyes open for 98 actions.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #7

Yes I do.

Before
[IMG][/IMG]

After
[IMG][/IMG]

I also customized a 300 WM, 7mm-08 & a 25-06

That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
Call Before You Shoot!
http://www.danthegunman.com
dan@danthegunman.com
Semper Fi
John14:6 <((><

Old 12-28-2007, 10:42 PM   #8

Well folks, it's been awhile since I was here last. No pics as od yet, but I'm in the process,between work and family stuff,in building an 8mm-308 barrel,reamer and die set. The barrel ,when finished, will go on that black 243 rifle. It's already set up w/ the short follower system.It should be ready to test fire some time after the fall of the roman empire. Ha HA. Naw, probably after new years. It's been hecktic at work. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress. Dave

Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have several of them around here, but bought more of them already built than I`ve done myself. I have 1 Turkish Mauser with a Mil. pull off barrel in 7.62 x 39 that some idiot put in a $ 400 piece of wood and then did another $ 100 worth of work on the wood. I think I`ll rebarrel it to eather a .243 or a .308 with a good barrel.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 02-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I used to build a lot of 98 large rings when a person could still get rough to poor complete rifles CHEAP to strip and use for base to build on. Nowdays I have to resort to getting commerical rifles in poor shape to build. Commerical actions need a lot less work to properly sporterize-thus more profit,but I still keep my eyes open for 98 actions.
I have also in the past built rifles on surplus military Mauser 98 actions. These days I don't. I build then on the CZ550 and the CZ550 Magnum actions instead. I send them out for cryo after I purchase them from CZ-USA, and then build them. The actions come as a complete assembly to include the magazine and bottom metal, and have steel action screw pillars. The trigger group is good, and the safety has been relocated to the same position as the Remington 700 safety, by the thumb opposite the trigger finger, and it pushes forward to fire. In other words it has all of the modern features that have to be added to the old surplus actions.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com