Custom stock woes..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Custom stock woes..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Custom stock woes..

I've got a Herters U9 (BSA monarch action) that does have the original stock, in almost perfect condition. However its a right handed stock and I'm a lefty
I thought about simply attempting to modify the existing stock by rasping down the harsh edge though in actuality I'd really like to leave the original be. Aside from that I'm worried that to even make a difference i'll have to take it down too far to ensure a proper cheek weld as I do plan on mounting an optic on it.

My only other option is a custom stock, however the only company I've found that will even "partial" inlet for that particular action (anywhere close to my price range) is Richards Microfit..
The prices seem very fair and I was really excited to get this project started...until I did some research on the company.. I fully realize that it's a "get what you pay for" kinda deal and I actually prefer the fact that I get to get my hands dirty, learn a few things and really make this rifle my own. However, some of the stories I've read are disheartening to say the very least.

If they're shipping out such hack-jobs on more common action inlets then I can only imagine what kinda boogered up mess I will receive as I doubt they've produced a stock for this action in a long time, if ever...

I fear that I may wait 6 months (longer in some cases) for them to send me an unusable, $200 piece of firewood..alas I have NO other options..do I?

I would love to hear some experienced opinions on the matter as I'm pretty bummed out

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Have you checked Boyd's or Bell & Carlson?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

Yes, they do not offer anything for this action.

Unless I wanna pay $500+ for a stock then Richards is my only option.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You just have to remember that if you get a stock from Richard's microfit be well prepared to do some fitting & sanding. Too many people just expect to slap a stock on & call it good. Get the drop in option and be ready to fit & glass bed it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

I have several stocks from Richard's, and they do require a little fitting and then finishing. I am lucky that my brother's hobby for 50 years has been refinishing gun stocks, and he includes glass bedding and free-floating the barrel. I am a total klutz, and would turn the stock into firewood in an hour. He does say that fitting is usually just a little tweaking, and he does it with a moto-tool and pocket knife (and lots of sandpaper).

Last edited by Swiftyjuan; 07-04-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added some

Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #6

I definitely don't expect a "drop in and go" custom stock for the price, not to mention the fact that it states clearly on their site that "some" fitting will be necessary. I actually welcome the experience as I've got the time for even a lengthy project right now, I'm just worried they will send me something that I can't even use....

In all fairness though I did read some positive reviews from satisfied customers as well, it just seems very hit or miss.

I guess I won't know until I try.

Swifty: Your brother wouldn't happen to live in Ohio would he?
Glad to hear your brother gives you something other than grief, mine unfortunately does not..ha!

I'm gonna have many questions when it arrives, hopefully I can even turn it into a DIY thread for future lefties with less than common rifles.

Thanks for the input gents.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You just have to remember that if you get a stock from Richard's microfit be well prepared to do some fitting & sanding. Too many people just expect to slap a stock on & call it good. Get the drop in option and be ready to fit & glass bed it.

They only offer mine in a "96% semi-inlet" which I hear is realistically more like 80% topps.. I don't have access to many wood working tools but I'll get by.

They do however have an option for 1/16" Oversized Inletting for an extra $15, now..as inaccurate as their track record portrays them to be, do you think it would be a total waste to do this?

Worse yet I've heard a few cases where they shipped stocks with too much wood removed from the get go, not sure I wanna take that chance.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Have no fear that Richards will send you a good stock. They are good people.

Richards Microfit stocks will take some work. The biggest complaint I hear is that the finishing takes to long as the stock is left too rough. a 96% inlet is going to take some work. They will also leave you extra wood on the stock if you want.

I would caution you as that you want a left hand stock for a right hand action. Make sure to explain this tidbit of info to anyone you order a stock from.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Richards produces some very good stocks.It's mostly the fault of the customers that think they are getting an almost finished stock from them,and have little to no wood working experience.Then when they receive the stock,they rant and rave about the crap peiceof wood they got.
You will spend several hours sanding and shaping the stock,as well as a few fitting your action into it.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #10

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I had a poor experience with Richards. It took over 4 months to receive my stock from them. I tried calling to check on it multiple times and they would never answer their phone or reply to email. When I finally did get it, they send me my stock and some other poor bastard's as well. It could have just as easily been someone who could have kept the other stock for themselves or turned around and sold it. It had the other guys packing slip so I called him and let him know what had happened and I shipped him his stock. But if I have another option, I won't buy from Richards again.