Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Custom Pig Gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/custom-pig-gun-4519/)

catesmw 05-20-2008 04:15 PM

Custom Pig Gun
 
Hi all.
Im trying to make a new version of the old WWII .45 acp rifle, "De Lisle" chambered in 50 Beowulf (I would rather 500 S&W but I don't know how to get a bolt-action to cycle a rimed case without using a Siamese Mauser), for pigs and other stubborn animals.

My plan is to start with a Rem 700 BDL in .223(as the 50 Beowulf has a rebated rim I won't need to change out the bolt).

Then Ill get the lowest contour barrel I can find (without compromising min wall thickness), too allow for as much space in the main expansion chamber as possible, and cut it down to 20in.

The mag should be an easy conversion, just modify the feed lips as needed, or convert the bottom metal to take ar-15 mags and modify them.

Im looking for suggestions and advice on this project. It's been 7 years since I graduated from CST (Colorado School of Trades), and since I joined the Marines shortly there after I haven't been able to practice much, so im very rusty.

Thanks in advance

robocop10mm 05-20-2008 07:01 PM

I believe the Beowulf uses the 7.62 X 39 case head dimensions, not .223/5.56. You might be able to use one of the imported bolt guns in that caliber (CZ?) as a basis for such a project. I'm not sure why you want to reinivent the wheel and spend a couple thousand $'s. Just get a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. That is all the gun you will ever need for hogs. 340gr flat point at 2100 fps is plenty.

c3shooter 05-20-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

I don't know how to get a bolt-action to cycle a rimed case
Always thought the SMLE did a pretty good job with that! BTW, the orignal De Lisle started life as a mating of the SMLE and a Thompson SMG barrel.

catesmw 05-20-2008 08:12 PM

Re:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 24701)
I believe the Beowulf uses the 7.62 X 39 case head dimensions, not .223/5.56. You might be able to use one of the imported bolt guns in that caliber (CZ?) as a basis for such a project. I'm not sure why you want to reinivent the wheel and spend a couple thousand $'s. Just get a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. That is all the gun you will ever need for hogs. 340gr flat point at 2100 fps is plenty.


Well I didn't know it was a 308 bolt head, thanks. But on your other point, I want to make this a suppressed rifle without making it a lot longer. Also I have a marlin 336 in 45-70. I'm doing this to make something new and a little different.


Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 24704)
Always thought the SMLE did a pretty good job with that! BTW, the orignal De Lisle started life as a mating of the SMLE and a Thompson SMG barrel.


that's a good point with the SMLE, I didn't think of that. I just looked them over and i like that idea better plus the mag problem is solved allot easier.
Any idea what the max chamber pressure is for the SMLE?


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.