Cryogenic Treatment? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Cryogenic Treatment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

In general, cryogenic treatment is one of those things that falls into the "it won't hurt" category. Amongst barrelmakers, Krieger is an advocate, others are not.
Cryogenic treatment will not relieve stress in a barrel blank as will conventional stress relieving by heating. Those makers who cryo treat their barrels also stress relieve prior to the cryo.
If there is any real improvement imparted by the cryogenic treatment, it is probably an improvement in surface finish and machinability. I doubt that it is cure for a poor shooting barrel but it won't hurt a good one and may make it last longer.
In the end, cryogenic treatment is really unproven. If a barrel is not stress free, cryo is unlikely to make it so. If it is stress free (and most good custom barrels are) cryo MIGHT add to barrel life by improving interior bore finish and durability. Will it double barrel life? No, it will not. Will it cut groups in half? No, it will not. Will it do any harm? Again, no, it will not. GD

Old 10-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #12

Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default cyroing

Greydog-respectfully you are only partially correct. It won't make a bad barrel a good barrel. To better understand the process,cyro isn't only cold treating only-it's also heat treating. You should see cyro process as final stress relieving. I happen to make a "livin" building custom rifles so I see a lot of rifle barrels. The main benefit that has been proven to me over dozens if not hundreds of barrels is it stops barrels from walking. This is based on my personal 1st hand experience.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 AM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

I've not come across one of those "walking" barrels. Even some which were obviously not stress relieved and which required straightening during the contouring process, never walked when tested. Those barrels which were properly stress relieved never moved when contoured and certainly never walked during shooting.
I have eschewed cryogenic treatment (except when I use a Krieger barrel since they come that way!) simply because I've not felt the need and the evidence supporting it is largely anecdotal. You are obviously a fan. I know a large number of fellow 'smiths and competitive shooters who are not. I'm sure there is some validity to some of the claims but, when uncryo'd barrels are shooting under .2 moa, I'm satisfied. GD

Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #14

Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Cyro

Cyroing won't magically cure all barrel ailments-even I'M not THAT much of a "fan". But when I have seen it work on dozens of barrels FIRSTHAND,there's gotta be something to it. And NO,it ain't a blanket cure-NOTHING in our world is warranted to be.
Pleaselook back and you'll see where I NEVER said it will make them more accurate-just more stabile.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 10-30-2007 at 10:30 AM.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3488 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Krieger

Just a quick point - We install a ton of Krieger Barrels in our shop, and while we do not Cryo any of them, we are very big fans of the good folks at Krieger. However, Krieger DOES NOT Cryo their barrels - They Cryo the steel that is used prior to making a barrel. While the Cryo process has both positives and negatives, it should be noted that Krieger is not submitting their finished barrels to the Cryo process.

Respectfully,

D

Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #16

if they treat the steel prior to turning them into barrels isnt it a fair assumsion that the barrel itself is treated... the effect of the treatment doean't matter when the treatment takes place, it can be before the barrel is made or after.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #17

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Everyone do you realize that this ZOMBIE thread is 3 years old?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 AM   #18

If you have an old style Mini 14, get it Cryoed, you want to see a rifle it really works on, the old mini is it.

It proves just how well a thin barrel that has stress in it benifits from the process.

Ruger for whatever seems to cut their barrels to induce maximum stress.

It will cut groups in half on a warm or hot mini barrel.

John K