Cryogenic Treatment?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Cryogenic Treatment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cryogenic Treatment?

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of cryogenic treatment on guns? What should I expect as the expense?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I don't own any guns that have had this done, however in discussions I have had with those that do the general idea is that 99% of shooters will never notice the difference.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #3

Exactly what does this do for a gun?

GLOCK 19 G19 NS 3RD GEN
:)

Old 06-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't had a chance to have it done on any firearms yet; but i have seen it used on saw chains and the really big bandsaw blades used in saw mills (like 8" wide and 25 feet long), and in both those situations the increase in life was quite substantial.
The next target rifle barrel I have done, will be getting cryo'd, if for no other (possible) reason than the increased wear resistance.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 06-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #5

Default CYRO = Snake Oil ?

CYRO is a technology without legitimate parents in any manufacturing process.
In actual tests of 10 random rifles, it made little difference or made accuracy worse !

Selection of premium ammunition compents or carefully engineered hand loads will make more difference.

In super=premium barrels, It may increase life of the barrel and performance.
Les Baer's AR's...the most accurate AR's on the planet, have very high quality barrels in materials, interior finish and are double cyro treated prior to Bear Coat which then heat stress relieves the barrels with the barrel extension in place = under 1/2 MOA accuracy with almost any ammunition.

JMHO

Old 06-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dgunsmith,Telling it like it is!!

Old 09-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Cyro

In my experience building custom rifles(I'm a gunsmith also,going on 27 years)it has become standard for me to have barrels cyrogenically treated on all of the full custom rifles I build. What this does is relieve stress differently than conventional methods.
The main reason I do this is because it has proven for barrels to impact same poi regardless of temp. This eliminates all barrel "walking" as it heats up. This means all shots will impact same as first shot from cold bore.
Of course I only send barrels off to be treated after chambering, threading, and hand lapping. This in paticular comes in very handy and is desired in ultralight hunting rifles.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
...are double cyro treated prior to Bear Coat which then heat stress relieves the barrels...
I've got some bad news, the stress relieving that they're doing is undoing the cryogenic treatment.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was talking to a BR shooter that has all of his barrels Cyroed. I asked him if it really helped. His reply was , " I don`t know, but it don`t hurt."
There are so many other thing that have a far greater effect on accuracy it is way down the list on things to make a rifle more accurate, and the cost of haveing it done will make it foolish to have done in 99% + of all rifles.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default cyro

I completely disagree with some of yall as I have had it done on dozens of barrels and it's PROVEN by 1sthand experience that is DOES NOT make them shoot worse!!! I'm basing this on my personal experience as building custom rifles HAPPENS to be my specialty. The main improvement I've seen consistently is barrels treated do not tend to "walk" as they heat up.