Crowning question...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Crowning question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts

Default Crowning question...

How much worse would the barrel of a rifle be if the crown was taken off?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 70

From what I understand the crown of a rifle is supposed to be even on all sides so the projectile will be centered and not be thrown to one side or the other. Now, If the crown is in good shape I see no reason to remove it.

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post
From what I understand the crown of a rifle is supposed to be even on all sides so the projectile will be centered and not be thrown to one side or the other. Now, If the crown is in good shape I see no reason to remove it.

I'm not asking about a crown that's in good shape, just a hypothetical question on recur owning firearms.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

It wouldn't be any worse as long as the muzzle was cleanly faced off perpendicular to the bore line, and no burrs remained. But one little bump or ding on the muzzle afterward, and all bets are off. A big part of the crowns job is to protect the end of the bore and rifling.

If I were to leave the saw cut end of this barrel blank as-is, it wouldn't shoot worth a hoot!

Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
It wouldn't be any worse as long as the muzzle was cleanly faced off perpendicular to the bore line, and no burrs remained. But one little bump or ding on the muzzle afterward, and all bets are off. A big part of the crowns job is to protect the end of the bore and rifling.

If I were to leave the saw cut end of this barrel blank as-is, it wouldn't shoot worth a hoot!

Exactly. The reason crowns are rounded and, usually, are not flat is because this protects the crown.

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Old 07-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

My rifles with a target crown are not rounded- they are slightly dished in, with straight lines. But again, it is to insure that as gasses are released when the bullet leaves the barrel- they are released evenly, and do not push the bullet to one side or the other. Dan Wesson revolvers typically have a pretty flat "crown"- due to the unusual barrel design.

Crown.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #7

A crown is very important for a rifle to shoot accurately. I had a rifle that shot 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards and after I recrowned the barrel it shot the first three rounds under and inch at 100 yards. In my eyes that's a huge difference.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctgb View Post
A crown is very important for a rifle to shoot accurately. I had a rifle that shot 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards and after I recrowned the barrel it shot the first three rounds under and inch at 100 yards. In my eyes that's a huge difference.

I agree, I think that's a huge difference too.