Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Crown lapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Crown lapping

I am looking into rebuilding a rifle I just got. Well the crown of the rifle is a little messed up not a whole lot because the rifle shooting like a dream. I would just like to clean up some of the nicks and burrs on it and others I have. I looked at the one on Midwayusa.com but this one doesn't look like it will do anything for my crown because it is a rounded crown.

Is there another system out there that a DIYer could get his hands on for a little bit of money?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #2

First, check to see if you really need to do it.

1. Get a Q tip and stick it in the bore from the muzzle end. gently pull it and see if anything catches the fibers. If it does, you have burrs and they should be either machined or lapped out. If the swab comes out the way it went in, just continue to march and leave it be.

2. If your shooting and kicking an occassional flyer out of your groups this can be caused by a bad crowning job.

BUT

Your bedding might also be junk and/or your ammo isn't tuned to the rifle and/or your scope sucks.

Nothing is ever simple is it?

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another way of checking the crown after it passes the Q-tip test is to "paint" the crown end of muzzle with regular "White-Out" and fire a few shots after it dries. If the gas escaping is irregular, it needs recrowning.

Recrowning is actually a 2 step process when done right. First you need to totally redo the actual crown itself by using lathe or a special reamer designed expressly for that purpose. After the muzzle is recrowned, it's time to "break the edge" by hand lapping an inner bevel just slightly. This bevel will transition the rifling to let gas escape uniformly. A good target style crown will enhance accuracy more than is usually assumed. PM me or the other gunsmiths if you have any questions. Neil