Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Converting a Remington 742 to a pump (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/converting-remington-742-pump-20523/)

jh45gun 11-28-2009 04:47 PM

Converting a Remington 742 to a pump

OK I talked this over with my gunsmith and he said he did not see why it would not work. I figure I will ask here too. I got a Remington 742 that the receiver is about half worn or half usable yet. (I am talking about the chatter marks on the rail that these guns get) This gun was just given to me free. Now I know that some folks convert these to a 760 pump using the 760 parts.

I took off the forarm and pumped the action by hand and it worked fine. What I would have to do is disable and plug the gas port and then modify the forarm to fit the action so I could hand pump the gun. I was going to wait until it got bad enough to become a single shot but my gunsmith said if your going to do it do it now to save any more wear on the receiver rails.

Comments?

Here is a picture copied from Wisners that show the action. As you can see the action is slightly compressed in the picture with the shell holding the bolt partly open. The gas port is the small tube on the right side and that would have to be blocked then the forearm modified and shortened to and fit to that Tube slide assembly that fits over the rod with the spring. Every thing would be left intact except for the gas port being disabled and the forearm fit to the slide assembly. As is the gun probably only has a few hundred shots left give or take. By doing this it should now last as the receiver will not be battered by the pounding of the semi auto action.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...ide%20view.jpg

jh45gun 11-29-2009 07:34 PM

I talked to my local gunsmith and a online friend who is one. Both assured me this is doable and simple. Block the gas port and make a forearm to fit the sleeve that the rails attach to. Spring operated straight pull pump.

stalkingbear 11-30-2009 10:50 PM

It's doable but I'm wondering why you want to do it in the 1st place? No more than they cost why not just buy a 7600 and then you'll have both?

jh45gun 12-01-2009 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 192419)
It's doable but I'm wondering why you want to do it in the 1st place? No more than they cost why not just buy a 7600 and then you'll have both?

For the simple reason if you know anything about the 742 the receiver wears out because the bolt slams against the rails at the end of the stroke with the gas operation of the semi auto and makes marks in the rail that looks like a serrated edge. This in time hangs up the bolt and you wind up with a single shot if it gets too bad the bolt jams and you got to use tools to un jam it and the receiver is shot.

This way by blocking the gas port and making a what most folks would call a spring operated straight pull action the receiver does not get any more damage and it is still usable. Just like the 760 does not wear out the receiver because operating it by hand does not harm the receiver this will do the same. All I am trying to do is save the receiver from any more damage. Remington says these guns were good for A 1000 Rounds which is very optimistic. My gunsmith says the number is more like 500 rounds which I think is more realistic as the guy who I got this gun from said the most he figures was shot through it was 200 rounds and it is half worn out already.

jh45gun 12-01-2009 04:00 AM

forgot to add at least this way I might save a gun that if shot semi auto until it dies would wind up a wall hanger.

jh45gun 12-01-2009 03:38 PM

I might not have to mess with the forearm as if the bolt handle is strong enough to eject the fired shells I will just use that and keep the forearm intact after the gas port is plugged.

jh45gun 12-02-2009 08:50 PM

Well blocked the gas port by making a longer set screw that goes into the gas port system from the bottom and that blocked the gas tube. Worked as planned gun shot once and did not cycle and the bolt handle ejected the shell fine so I will leave the factory forearm on and work the bolt with the bolt handle.

matt g 12-02-2009 10:58 PM

Fix the problem rather than slapping a Bandaid on it. If the firearm will never work the way that it was designed, its time to saw the receiver and send it to the scrap heap.

matt g 12-02-2009 11:00 PM

Just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should be done.

jh45gun 12-03-2009 03:50 AM

I totally disagree!!! This way the gun is still usable and will last a LONG TIME and still be shoot-able. As is the receiver will wear out and the gun will be nothing but a wall hanger! Not much difference it this now compared to the 760 pump as their receivers do not wear out even though they are the same as the bolt is not slamming into the rails being manually operated. You CANNOT FIX the problem as Remington washed their hands on this gun and will not give any factory support to it anymore they call it obsolete which is pretty crummy considering the gun was made from 1960 to 1980. There is no new receivers to be had and most of the used ones are not worth the effort of replacing as they all have the same problem with the rails getting chewed up by the bolt. At least this way the gun is usable and will last a long time.