Converting .32 rimfire to centerfire - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Converting .32 rimfire to centerfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yup, it is the steels involved that give me pause. 32 Rimfire is a BP cartridge, .32 S&W is mostly modern smokeless. The dwell times and pressures of the two are quite different. .32 Rimfire emerged back in the 1870s (if not earlier, or whenever S&W's bored through patent ran out). Given we don't know exactly which of the makes cited is the intended recipient of the conversion and some manufacturers were still using some iron parts instead of steel, at least until the 1920s, and given that even those 'boy's rifle' manufacturers (still in business) would cringe at the thought of one of their BP weapons being changed to use smokeless ammo, I wouldn't want to try it. Not without a lot more info anyway.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

I recently bought a .32 rimfire revolver on the basis that it was cool and I bought it cheap. I understand why the poster is looking for an alternative. I found rounds for the pistol in the $2.00 per round price range. My little revolver will be living behind glass and not shot as long as I own it.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes, I agree. The 32 rimfire spur trigger revolvers were amazingly popular in the US in the period of 1880 - 1905 or so. The big reason was a new Colt could run you $12, but those spur trigger revolvers were being turned out so cheaply you could buy one for about $3 (or less).

Similar for the new double action Bulldog type revolvers coming in from Europe.

I would venture to haphazard (but only Winchester and Remington could tell us for sure) that .32 rimfire ammo was comparable in sales popularity to .380 ammo is today allowing for the smaller US population back then. Then there were the 'boys rifles.' 32 rimfire came in extra short, short, long and extra long sizes. Back in the 1980s a company called Western Scrounger started producing it again and there was a brief surge of seeing the old spur trigger revolvers at pistol ranges. In spite of the Colt & S&W campaign to push those lower priced threats off the market by hiring newspapers to run editorials labeling the competition's cheaper pistols as unsafe, dangerous, and Saturday Night Specials (now you know where the term came from) and attractive only to 'thugs, drunks and women of ill repute.' some are good little pocket pistols. I have one inherited from a grandparent, who also left us about 20 rounds of short and long ammo for it. I had a trigger spring fail back in 83 or so and had all new leaf springs put in (by then it had been around for 100 years). I am very sorry to say that not knowing Western Scrounger was soon closing their doors, I used up the last of my ammo for it within a week of getting it back with new springs. I am happy however to report that the last cylinder of them I fired bagged a rabbit.

From today's world perspective the big drawbacks of them is most do not have rebounding hammers or transfer bars. (Iver Johnson addressed this in theirs with Hammer the hammer, America's first successful transfer bar safety.) Also the hammer spur sometimes snags on cloth. The lack of a trigger guard is of no concern since most are single action only weapons. Also being designed for in close shooting, the sights are very poor.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #14

There was an article in hand loader magazine earlier this year about how to make 32 rim fire brass. In the article the took 32 s&w brass and filled in the primer pocket and made a new primer pocket off center. They used a 22 blank as the primer.
You'd have to make sure the primer was property lined up in order for it to work but it can be done

Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #15

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot856 View Post
There was an article in hand loader magazine earlier this year about how to make 32 rim fire brass. In the article the took 32 s&w brass and filled in the primer pocket and made a new primer pocket off center. They used a 22 blank as the primer.
You'd have to make sure the primer was property lined up in order for it to work but it can be done
it would have to have been .32 colt ammo

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.