Colt Thumb Safety Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Colt Thumb Safety Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt Thumb Safety Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have a question about the ambidextrous thumb safety on my Colt Rail Gun.
I have noticed that the right side is very loose. When it is engaged or not it moves about 1/8'' up and down, and it slides in and out of the gun almost 1/32''.
Is this normal ?
I am very new to this, but I noticed that my other gun, a Kimber has no movement at all on the right side of the safety. it is as if it is one solid piece.
I should add that the safety can be engaged and disengaged from the right side, but I'm concerned about it being loose.
The gun is new and I have not fired it.
Should I sent it back to Colt ?

Thank You

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

you should send it back for warranty work. its prolly just a little loose but being brand new best t let colt tighten it up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-25-2010, 01:56 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Colt right side safeties are loose fitting. They are held in place by the grips. The shaft part simply fits over a tab on the left side shaft. The left side is the actual safety, the right side is only an extension.

The Kimber safety is solid because it is held in place by the hammer pin.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/