Colt Derringers 4 model

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Colt Derringers 4 model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 6

Default Colt Derringers 4 model

colt-derringers-4th-model.jpeg
colt-derringer-51754der-3.jpg
colt-derringer-51753der-5.jpg
Hey,
I bought these pistols and I don't know much, if anything about them. Any help on that is welcome.
Now the problem is, neither of them open to load, I know how to, they just won't why might that be?
The one that is black with the wooden handle's trigger is separate, I have it, it just isn't installed. Also the two grips won't screw in together.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to fix these things?
I know there are some not for shooting, but the serial number says these fire.
If I replace parts will it do anything to the value?

p.s. original wooden case.

Conservation is the key!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #2

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Take the barrel screw out so the barrel comes off then you could see why they won't open.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

Liked 124 Times on 78 Posts

They have to be on half-cock before they will open.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

I had them in half cock.
I know how to open them, they just won't. the black one has a little budge but it won't open. The white one though, gives nothing.

Conservation is the key!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe you have deactivated Colt derringers.These were produced by Colt, in addition to firing models, for a non-firing display pistol. Beneath the chamber is a spring loaded detent that serves two purposes. It extracts the fired cartridge case when the barrel is swung open, and it also prevents movement of the closed barrel by entering a slight indentation in the frame, beneath the hammer. Pressure used to swing the barrel open will allow the detent to retract from the slight frame indentation. In producing the non-firing derringer, the frame indentation is a deep hole, preventing the detent from retracting and the barrel from swinging open. There is no conceivable way to open either of your derringers. There is no way to get the detent to retract itself from the deep hole in the frame. If you want to make them firing models, you would need replacement barrels because removing the original barrels using a hacksaw is the only means to accomplish this. Avoid damaging smaller parts, including the detent, in the barrel. Also, you will have to restore, or reduce, the frame indentation to allow the detent to retract when swinging the barrel open, otherwise you will have the same problem, again.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #6

The barrels on most of those move quite stiffly.
Colt never made them. They only have the Colt name.
The detent is on the side not the bottom.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #7

Well, I went through and searched the serial number and it says they're supposed to fire, the inside of the barrel has some powder stuff which makes it look like it has been shot. But I don't know man.

Conservation is the key!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #8

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The barrels on most of those move quite stiffly.
Colt never made them. They only have the Colt name.
The detent is on the side not the bottom.
The cartridge case ejector, or spring loaded detent, which also presses up against a dimple on the frame when the barrel is closed, is located beneath the chamber. There were two series of Colt Number 4 Derringers produced with Colt markings and manufactured by Butler Manufacturing. Butler later produced them, after Colt discontinued that model, with Butler markings. Both the frame and barrel are made using potmetal. Even the rifled bore is potmetal. The original poster's derringers may have fired at one time, because they are serial numbered, and the deactivated derringers I've observed lacked serial numbers. It is possible that a previous owner may have deactivated the derringers by deepening the "dimple" the tip of the ejector sits in, preventing any barrel movement.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 176

This looks like an interesting read on your guns: http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/article.php?id=13776

good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 10-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #10

Clermont, thank you. I'm old and my memory plays tricks on me sometimes.
I have seen and shot these (and the ones marked 'Butler') many times.