Colt Defender Plunger lever problem/question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Colt Defender Plunger lever problem/question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt Defender Plunger lever problem/question

Hi, All! I'm new to the site and I found you through a Google search. I've got a Colt Defender that I replaced the mainspring housing with an S&A arched one. While doing that, I couldn't replace the trigger/grip safety spring and had to remove the thumb safety. Finally got it back together and noticed that the plunger lever does not stay raised above the frame, I can push it down into the frame. I don't feel and spring tension or resistance at all. It seems to me this should be in the raised position. Anyway, I've researched and can't find many definitive answers or videos to show me how to properly reassemble/reinstall the plunger lever, trigger springs, etc. I'm hoping that someone here can help out. Thanks so much...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #2

Default More info

I did read on another forum that this lever is supposed to be pushed down upon reinstalling the slide so maybe I didn't do anything wrong. It just seemed to me that it was extended before. Any info will be appreciated!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5651 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

when putting new parts in a 1911 they sometimes require fitting. this means adjusting the part to make it fit.

the other problem your facing is that parts for guns not standard fullsize 1911's are generally not interchangeable. a defender sized colt is not the same or made to the same specs as an equivelent sized Springfield. so SA parts may just not fit.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-25-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
when putting new parts in a 1911 they sometimes require fitting. this means adjusting the part to make it fit.

the other problem your facing is that parts for guns not standard fullsize 1911's are generally not interchangeable. a defender sized colt is not the same or mode to the same specs as an equivelent sized Springfield. so SA parts may just not fit.
What he said! Try taking it to a gunsmith and have them look everything over.
Also welcome to FTF, shoot over to the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself.
[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like the grip safety lever missed the spring. That could be because the spring moved while you was replacing the mainspring housing. Nothing needs to be fitted because you're using the same parts except for the mainspring housing and those don't need to be fitted. Try holding the spring in place until you slide up the mainspring housing. Also the grip safety lever can slide off the spring if you don't.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebriarman View Post
Hi, All! I'm new to the site and I found you through a Google search. I've got a Colt Defender that I replaced the mainspring housing with an S&A arched one. While doing that, I couldn't replace the trigger/grip safety spring and had to remove the thumb safety. Finally got it back together and noticed that the plunger lever does not stay raised above the frame, I can push it down into the frame. I don't feel and spring tension or resistance at all. It seems to me this should be in the raised position. Anyway, I've researched and can't find many definitive answers or videos to show me how to properly reassemble/reinstall the plunger lever, trigger springs, etc. I'm hoping that someone here can help out. Thanks so much...
I'm confused.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 12-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

In removing the old safety, was there a possibility that a spring shot out from the plunger tube and is hidden in some corner looking like a bug with two black ends and the middle is striped?

That spring applies pressure to the safety to keep it in place. Up movement may have some resistance, but down movement will have no resistance.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #8

Default Thank you!

Gentlemen, thanks for your input. I'm going to check it out and let you know the results.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the series 80 firing pin safety? The little "lever" on the top right of the frame ?

I think you are. This piece should be down normally and has no spring. It is not held in place by the thumb safety.

There are actually two of these. One is held in place by the hammer pin and one by the sear pin. When you pull the trigger the bottom one pushes the top one up. The top one then pushes the "plunger" in the slide to release the firing pin.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Last edited by jca1; 12-27-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's pretty obvious that we think it may be different parts causing the problem. Some good pictures of the part would help LOADS.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!