Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Colt Defender Plunger lever problem/question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/colt-defender-plunger-lever-problem-question-35993/)

thebriarman 12-25-2010 05:32 AM

Colt Defender Plunger lever problem/question

Hi, All! I'm new to the site and I found you through a Google search. I've got a Colt Defender that I replaced the mainspring housing with an S&A arched one. While doing that, I couldn't replace the trigger/grip safety spring and had to remove the thumb safety. Finally got it back together and noticed that the plunger lever does not stay raised above the frame, I can push it down into the frame. I don't feel and spring tension or resistance at all. It seems to me this should be in the raised position. Anyway, I've researched and can't find many definitive answers or videos to show me how to properly reassemble/reinstall the plunger lever, trigger springs, etc. I'm hoping that someone here can help out. Thanks so much...

thebriarman 12-25-2010 05:42 AM

More info

I did read on another forum that this lever is supposed to be pushed down upon reinstalling the slide so maybe I didn't do anything wrong. It just seemed to me that it was extended before. Any info will be appreciated!

JonM 12-25-2010 01:42 PM

when putting new parts in a 1911 they sometimes require fitting. this means adjusting the part to make it fit.

the other problem your facing is that parts for guns not standard fullsize 1911's are generally not interchangeable. a defender sized colt is not the same or made to the same specs as an equivelent sized Springfield. so SA parts may just not fit.

SecPro 12-25-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 408962)
when putting new parts in a 1911 they sometimes require fitting. this means adjusting the part to make it fit.

the other problem your facing is that parts for guns not standard fullsize 1911's are generally not interchangeable. a defender sized colt is not the same or mode to the same specs as an equivelent sized Springfield. so SA parts may just not fit.

What he said! Try taking it to a gunsmith and have them look everything over.
Also welcome to FTF, shoot over to the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself.

stalkingbear 12-25-2010 09:15 PM

It sounds like the grip safety lever missed the spring. That could be because the spring moved while you was replacing the mainspring housing. Nothing needs to be fitted because you're using the same parts except for the mainspring housing and those don't need to be fitted. Try holding the spring in place until you slide up the mainspring housing. Also the grip safety lever can slide off the spring if you don't.

jca1 12-25-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebriarman (Post 408887)
Hi, All! I'm new to the site and I found you through a Google search. I've got a Colt Defender that I replaced the mainspring housing with an S&A arched one. While doing that, I couldn't replace the trigger/grip safety spring and had to remove the thumb safety. Finally got it back together and noticed that the plunger lever does not stay raised above the frame, I can push it down into the frame. I don't feel and spring tension or resistance at all. It seems to me this should be in the raised position. Anyway, I've researched and can't find many definitive answers or videos to show me how to properly reassemble/reinstall the plunger lever, trigger springs, etc. I'm hoping that someone here can help out. Thanks so much...

I'm confused.

danf_fl 12-25-2010 11:33 PM

In removing the old safety, was there a possibility that a spring shot out from the plunger tube and is hidden in some corner looking like a bug with two black ends and the middle is striped?

That spring applies pressure to the safety to keep it in place. Up movement may have some resistance, but down movement will have no resistance.

thebriarman 12-26-2010 08:59 PM

Thank you!

Gentlemen, thanks for your input. I'm going to check it out and let you know the results.

jca1 12-27-2010 12:10 AM

Are you talking about the series 80 firing pin safety? The little "lever" on the top right of the frame ?

I think you are. This piece should be down normally and has no spring. It is not held in place by the thumb safety.

There are actually two of these. One is held in place by the hammer pin and one by the sear pin. When you pull the trigger the bottom one pushes the top one up. The top one then pushes the "plunger" in the slide to release the firing pin.

stalkingbear 12-27-2010 01:46 AM

It's pretty obvious that we think it may be different parts causing the problem. Some good pictures of the part would help LOADS.