Colt 1911 - Final Learning How it Works Q

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Colt 1911 - Final Learning How it Works Q

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt 1911 - Final Learning How it Works Q

Personal Note #48 – On the Colt 1911 series 80 pistol I am having a problem determining what part retains the firing pin blocking plunger. My answer is the extractor but it could be the trigger or the slide stop plate. Am I correct?

Personal Note #50 –On the 1911 pistol the sear spring activates three parts. In the list of parts that follows which part is not one of these; the firing pin blocking safety plunger, the trigger, the sear or the grip safety. I believe that it is the grip safety that does not belong. Am I correct?

Personal Note #51 – On the Colt Gold Cup Series 1911 there is a part called the sear depressor lever. I am having a hard time figuring out what this part does. Does it turn off the firing pin blocking safety, or does it allow the shooter a better trigger pull and prevents hammer follow down, or it will not allow the gun to be fired without a magazine in the gun. What is the answer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Hoppy, Welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry that I did not welcome you before.

Before you go too far with your questions, take a little time and check out this screen saver from our friends at STI International.
http://www.stiguns.com/resources/downloads/

I believe this will answer a lot of your questions (except the series-80).

Now on you Personal note #48: Both the firing pin and the extractor hold it in place to a degree. The trigger is not in the equation, and the slide stop plate is not an identified series-80 part.

Personal Note #50: The three fingers of the sear spring do the following (going from left to right as viewed from the rear), apply pressure to the sear, apply pressure to the disconnector, apply pressure to the grip safety.

Personal Note #51: The depressor lever does not have "sear" in the nomenclature. It (with the spring) are installed to help give the Gold Cup its fine trigger pull.

My source for nomenclature is: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=140/schematicsdetail/1911-Gold-Cup-10mm-Gold-Cup-Combat-Target

(And on a side note: It would be polite to say "Thanks" if it is deserved.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

On the 1911 pistol the sear spring activates three parts. From your reply you have identified 2 parts from the list - the sear and the grip safety which leaves 2 selections left and the disconnector is not one of them. Since I was wrong, I now believe that form the supplied list of parts to choose from that it is the firing pin blocking safety plunger is the correct answer? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Three areas for the sear spring
1. Sear, pushes the sear to lock the hammer on cock
2. Disconnector, pushes the disconnector up in the divot of the slide (may also have an affect on trigger pull).
3. Grip safety, so the trigger movement is blocked if the grip safety is not engaged.

All are designed to keep pressure on their piece until something forces them to move (like pulling the trigger after gripping the grip safety.)

Pulling the trigger moves the disconnector and sear (as one piece) to release the hammer.

There are some 4 fingered springs out there (Clark) that reduce the trigger pull, but the function is basically the same.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-series-70-80-90-a-21979/

Also, Brownells has the Kuhnhausen books on the 1911. A very good investment.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Last edited by danf_fl; 04-05-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hoppy, knowing the good folks here, if I were leading you down the wrong path, they would have chimed in already.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC