coat or soak in oil?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > coat or soak in oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default coat or soak in oil?

i am re blueing a revolver cylinder, got the blueing done and it looks good enough for me. i heated the cylinder and blued it monday around noon, after it looked the way i wanted i rinsed well with cold water and dried it. i put it in a container and compleatly covered it with mobil 1 synthetic oil as thats all i got. its been soaking ever since, is this ok or should i just set it out and keep it coated? also is the mobil 1 ok?, it will be next monday before i can get something else. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

will be fine , let me ask this though why are you soaking it in oil ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

i know that after its blued it supposed to be oiled so i thought i'd just drop it in the oil. thanks

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
i know that after its blued it supposed to be oiled so i thought i'd just drop it in the oil. thanks
Never heard that before being blued , I always dip my parkerized stuff in oil because thats the last step of the process with parkerizing . It not going to hurt anything so it will be just fine, I would pull it out wipe it down and roll with it

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #5

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Usually a hot blue process has a oil bath for the last step. old fart you did fine.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #6

i cleaned and degreased, used blue and rust remover. the cylinder was shiny bright, blued and it turned a nice blue/black color. washed real well with cold water, dried then put it in the oil. did this on monday, just took it out of the oil and i've got rust spots on the cylinder. just some specks here and there but its driving me crazy. the gun isn't worth putting alot in as its an nef but it a good shooter and i wanted a gun to take hiking., guess its going to the classifieds on facebook. with the ammo i have to go with it i should be able to sell it to someone who isn't bothered by a little rust. i can't handle having a gun that has rust, just wouldn't be happy if i kept it. thanks for the help.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

You did good.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you don't like the cylinder, try replacing it with a new or used one. Numrich probably has one that will work. Instead of using motor oil that could have synthetics in it use gun oil, most any brand will work. Try some oooo steel wool and lightly polish the cyl. and coat with gun oil over night.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
If you don't like the cylinder, try replacing it with a new or used one. Numrich probably has one that will work. Instead of using motor oil that could have synthetics in it use gun oil, most any brand will work. Try some oooo steel wool and lightly polish the cyl. and coat with gun oil over night.
i didn't think of this, thank you. i don't have any idea what went wrong, the frame looks brand new and turned out perfect. but the cylinder keeps getting a rusty spot here and there. i'll check about a new cylinder as the shoots great and i'd like to keep it if i could. thanks again.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #10

well i decided to try one more time, except i did one thing different. after i used the blue and rust remover, i put on rubber medical gloves so my skin didn't touch the cylinder. reblued and after 3 coats it looks like the gun. i also went and got birchwood casey barricade to put on it. thanks for everyones help, i'll post pics after i reassemble later tonight. thanks again