Cleaning surface rust
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Cleaning surface rust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cleaning surface rust

Does anyone have a good method to remove surface rust. I have a Uberti SAA that needs some help. It was in a soft case on my reloading bench in the basement when I went on vacation. I got home to discover the ice maker on the refer had sprung a leak. Of course its right above my bench! Any help would be great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I use a white scotch-brite pad and some oil. I have heard of people using 000 steel wool but I heard that the steel wool can get impregnated in your firearm and cause rust later...which is why I use scotch-brite.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
Does anyone have a good method to remove surface rust. I have a Uberti SAA that needs some help. It was in a soft case on my reloading bench in the basement when I went on vacation. I got home to discover the ice maker on the refer had sprung a leak. Of course its right above my bench! Any help would be great.
try some very, very fine steel wool and Kano Kroil on it. i cleaned up my fathers rifle and pistol that had been stored in his safe for over 15 years and they had some surface rust on them. they looked 150% better when i finished with them. Kroil is some amazing stuff. useful as a bore cleaner and penetrant oil also. decent price too.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #4

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
I use 0000 steel wool and breakfree clp. Rub the clp over the gun and let set for a few minutes. Then buff the area with the steel wool wiping the area off and assessing it from time to time. Repeat process til the surface rust is removed or you see no improvement. Be sure and clean and oil the gun afterwords as any bits of steel wool left on the gun will rust leaving surface rust on the gun again.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe View Post
I use 0000 steel wool and breakfree clp. Rub the clp over the gun and let set for a few minutes. Then buff the area with the steel wool wiping the area off and assessing it from time to time. Repeat process til the surface rust is removed or you see no improvement. Be sure and clean and oil the gun afterwords as any bits of steel wool left on the gun will rust leaving surface rust on the gun again.
Agree, I w only add - if OOOO unsuccessful, go OOO steel wool w grain.

PS: Put a cloth down cause little bits of steel wool will go everywhere - when done, carefully roll up and toss it all away.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Me personaly I use a good oil like balistol and a good canvas or burlap and rub the **** out of it .
What realy works good is gunzila and a cloth . But don't use it on rust blued guns . It will take the blueing off .
My 2 cents

Fk

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #7

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Little bit of apple cider vinegar goes a long way, or a $3 lead and rust removing cloth from midwayusa

Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #8

Liked 124 Times on 78 Posts

NO! Scotchbrite pads and vinegar will remove bluing.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
I use a white scotch-brite pad and some oil. I have heard of people using 000 steel wool but I heard that the steel wool can get impregnated in your firearm and cause rust later...which is why I use scotch-brite.
+1, or more.
The white scotchbrite is finer than any steel wool, anywhere. And, it won't imbed iron particles, because it doesn't have any. Steel wool is for the past. In this case, old school is bad school.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by regload View Post
+1, or more.
The white scotchbrite is finer than any steel wool, anywhere. And, it won't imbed iron particles, because it doesn't have any. Steel wool is for the past. In this case, old school is bad school.
old school methods still work. i still use them with great success, still to this day. some of us still also have old school firearms as well.