Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Cleaning surface rust (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/cleaning-surface-rust-66761/)

sparky17 06-20-2012 04:40 AM

Cleaning surface rust

Does anyone have a good method to remove surface rust. I have a Uberti SAA that needs some help. It was in a soft case on my reloading bench in the basement when I went on vacation. I got home to discover the ice maker on the refer had sprung a leak. Of course its right above my bench! Any help would be great.

jordan89 06-20-2012 04:43 AM

I use a white scotch-brite pad and some oil. I have heard of people using 000 steel wool but I heard that the steel wool can get impregnated in your firearm and cause rust later...which is why I use scotch-brite.

Axxe55 06-20-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky17 (Post 842745)
Does anyone have a good method to remove surface rust. I have a Uberti SAA that needs some help. It was in a soft case on my reloading bench in the basement when I went on vacation. I got home to discover the ice maker on the refer had sprung a leak. Of course its right above my bench! Any help would be great.

try some very, very fine steel wool and Kano Kroil on it. i cleaned up my fathers rifle and pistol that had been stored in his safe for over 15 years and they had some surface rust on them. they looked 150% better when i finished with them. Kroil is some amazing stuff. useful as a bore cleaner and penetrant oil also. decent price too.

bearrwe 06-20-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky17 (Post 842745)

I use 0000 steel wool and breakfree clp. Rub the clp over the gun and let set for a few minutes. Then buff the area with the steel wool wiping the area off and assessing it from time to time. Repeat process til the surface rust is removed or you see no improvement. Be sure and clean and oil the gun afterwords as any bits of steel wool left on the gun will rust leaving surface rust on the gun again.

Gonzilla 12-06-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearrwe (Post 842756)
I use 0000 steel wool and breakfree clp. Rub the clp over the gun and let set for a few minutes. Then buff the area with the steel wool wiping the area off and assessing it from time to time. Repeat process til the surface rust is removed or you see no improvement. Be sure and clean and oil the gun afterwords as any bits of steel wool left on the gun will rust leaving surface rust on the gun again.

Agree, I w only add - if OOOO unsuccessful, go OOO steel wool w grain.

PS: Put a cloth down cause little bits of steel wool will go everywhere - when done, carefully roll up and toss it all away.

Fisherking 12-12-2012 05:00 PM

Me personaly I use a good oil like balistol and a good canvas or burlap and rub the **** out of it .
What realy works good is gunzila and a cloth . But don't use it on rust blued guns . It will take the blueing off .
My 2 cents

Fk

bige91603 12-12-2012 05:03 PM

Little bit of apple cider vinegar goes a long way, or a $3 lead and rust removing cloth from midwayusa

BillDeShivs 12-13-2012 01:03 AM

NO! Scotchbrite pads and vinegar will remove bluing.

regload 12-13-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan89 (Post 842750)
I use a white scotch-brite pad and some oil. I have heard of people using 000 steel wool but I heard that the steel wool can get impregnated in your firearm and cause rust later...which is why I use scotch-brite.

+1, or more.
The white scotchbrite is finer than any steel wool, anywhere. And, it won't imbed iron particles, because it doesn't have any. Steel wool is for the past. In this case, old school is bad school.

Axxe55 12-13-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regload (Post 1049570)
+1, or more.
The white scotchbrite is finer than any steel wool, anywhere. And, it won't imbed iron particles, because it doesn't have any. Steel wool is for the past. In this case, old school is bad school.

old school methods still work. i still use them with great success, still to this day. some of us still also have old school firearms as well.