Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo?

I just picked up a couple mosin nagants and a 8mm mauser and have been shooting surpluss ammo out of them for the simple economics of it, but no matter how much I clean in a couple of days the barrels look filthy.So the ? is, is there a special solvent that I can use to counter act the effects of the corrosive ammo and make it so I dont have to clean the barrels every few days?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8428 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Yes. the older GI bore cleaner- US 30-06 was corrosive up into the early 50's.

Could I ask how you are cleaning barrels now? I shoot a lot of Commie 7.62 and Turk 8mm- For me, rifle goes in padded vise, muzzle down at a 45 degree angle, bucket under muzzle, plastic funnel in chamber. Quart of HOT water poured thru bbl, bronze bush with Dawn dish detergent, scrub bore 20 strokes, another quart of HOT water, 2 clean dry patches, wait 10 minutes, oily patch, wipe off and oil bolt, put away.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2657 Times on 1549 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Good advice c3, but may I add, check on the firearm after a few days to see if you need to redo c3shooter's procedure.
I know that I sometimes don't concentrate on areas as I should and have been "bitten" once or twice.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #4

Likes Given: 17

At the range I squirt Windex with ammonia in it down the barrel, soak a few patches in Windex and run them through. When I get it home it's hot water then more Windex until the patches run clear. Then I use a copper removing solvent then it gets oiled.