Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Class 2 type 07 FFL question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Class 2 type 07 FFL question

I am wanting to get my Class 2 FFL and looking for feedback from anyone who may have just gotten theirs. I am brand new to this and have researched the FFL kits online but not sure which ones to trust. It seems like a kit would break everything down in layman's terms making the process easier to understand. And is a home based Class 2 Type 07 possible to obtain or do I need a shop front? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8428 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

First, welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, stop over by the intro section, and say hello.

So- you want to become a manufacturer of NFA firearms? Well, to start with, I would not use any of the "kits" to obtain your license. But I would spend some time reading on the ATF website. Here is a start- ATF Online - Firearms - How To - Become An FFL

Can you do this at home? Depends. Can you legally operate a business in your home? ATF requires you be in compliance with all state and local laws before granting the license. That includes ZONING. My local smith DOES have his shop in his home. YOUR zoning laws may be different. Got a business license?

Secondly, you MUST intend to "engage in the business" of making and selling firearms. The license will NOT be granted for "personal use".

Last, if you intend to manufacture full autos, you have additional measures to deal with- your ONLY customers will be Law Enforcement AGENCIES, military AGENCIES, or other dealers. No newly made full autos can be transferred to a private citizen. SBRs, SBSs, and suppressors are another matter.

And you did not ask, but if I were going to set up a business, I would incorporate it. It shields your personal assets from legal actions (like lawsuits).

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt