Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Chambered my first barrel, but have a question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Chambered my first barrel, but have a question?

I'm rebarreling a Turkish Mauser to 30-06. I've got the bolt so that it just closes on the GO gauge with the bolt alling on its own. But, when I put a round in the chamber I need to lightly nudge the bolt closed, it takes very little pressure. My question is, should I leave the chamber as is or ream the chamber a little more? My feeling is to just leave it, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Bobg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 67

IF i had them avalible i would try a few other rounds.ie different bullets different manfs.sounds like your close. you can always take more cant put it back tho

Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

did you strip the bolt totally before using the go gage?? as in ejector removal.

make sure any test rounds are themselves in spec. you need a case gage for that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

tonydewar Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

If the bolt closes on the "GO" gauge, the headspace is correct. The slight resistance felt on a loaded round may be due to throat dimensions (and bullet seating) or some variation in case dimension. If the bolt can be cloed without having to push too hard, I would leave it alone. The only other possibility would be a "GO" gauge which is wrong but this is so rare as to be almost unheard of. GD

Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

The rifle is all chambered and put back together. Can't wait to shoot it. The stock was a used one and has some patches on it, so ill probably will just paint it camo. It's one goes to my son in Alaska, so it's going to get beat up if I know him.

Bob

I attached a pict, it's the one on the bottom. The one on top will probably be re chambered to 7mm-08

image.jpg