Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   CETME rear sight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/cetme-rear-sight-69253/)

danf_fl 07-30-2012 12:06 PM

CETME rear sight

Okay, CETME is not the "Top of the Line" .308, but I have one I am kinda stuck with.

Dern thing shoots to the right (even though I went the max amount available to align the sights).

I took a string from the front sight enclosure and ran it to the butt stock. The rear sight (welded to the receiver and non-adjustable) is not in line. It seems to be about 1/8" to 1/4" to the right.

Any suggestions on how to break the welds without ruining the receiver and rewelding it into the correct position?

mountainman13 07-30-2012 12:20 PM

Have you considered filing the rear sight? It sounds like you would have to open it up an awful lot though.

danf_fl 07-30-2012 12:43 PM

The rear sight has a "flip" arrangement for different ranges.
The 100m is a "V" sight, the 200m, 300m, and 400m are similar to the M-16 rear sight (an "O")
My thoughts are to "Dremel" the welds. After removing the sight, file the remaining weld marks on the receiver and re-weld with a wire feed welder.

My concern is warpage of the receiver (it is stamped metal).

mountainman13 07-30-2012 01:05 PM

Yeah that could be a serious problem. I haven't done it so I won't even attempt to advise you. Hopefully one of the other guys has some input.

kytowboater 07-30-2012 01:15 PM

If your tired of it, I'll pay the one way shipping fees to my door.

willfully armed 07-30-2012 01:34 PM

I thought about moving my rear sight, but sold it before I got the initiative to to so.

Dremel with a cut off wheel would remove it, then a few tack welds to put it back on. Be careful, and you wont overheat the receiver.

m72law 07-30-2012 01:51 PM

i used a cutoff wheel to remove my cetme rear sight,then die grinded/file,to prep the rear sight area.

i replaced my rear sight with a hk91/g3 sight and base...it gives you windage & elevation adjusments.its the best 30bucks you'll spend on a cetme;)unless you want to scope it then throw a claw mount on it. this is the site i bought my hk sight from-

Uzi Parts - RTG International Surplus Gun Parts or www.robertrtg.com

i used a tig welder,you have a mig right?

i wouldnt worry about warping,i would be more worried about blowing holes through it,find another scrap peice of metal w/same thickness to dial in your heat settings on your mig.

danf_fl 07-30-2012 02:13 PM

Yes, I've got a MIG wire feed.

The other option I have is to use JB-weld.

Would the operative words here be "Take your time" when doing it?

m72law 07-30-2012 02:18 PM

"Take your time" when doing it?

that might help also.save that JB weld..remember that sight will draw up when heat is applied,clamp her down,& go for it!:D

danf_fl 08-07-2012 12:48 AM

I ordered some "practice" pieces from milsurp.com.

I plan to do a trial run on a used rear sight to see if my skills are up to the task.