You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Certified armorer question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Certified armorer question.

I was wondering if you take a certified course by a manufacturer say like Glock or Smith & Wesson, does that benefit you in any way or is it just good knowledge?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

Liked 3690 Times on 2142 Posts
Likes Given: 5279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet80 View Post
I was wondering if you take a certified course by a manufacturer say like Glock or Smith & Wesson, does that benefit you in any way or is it just good knowledge?
yes it does.

i'll give an example of the field I was in, large trucks and heavy equipment. I took advantage of any training seminars, courses, or technical study groups that sometimes had not a lot to do exactly with my field of experience, simply because it allowed me to better understand how to work on, or diagnose problems and to be able to relate those issues to others in what I needed repaired or serviced.

there is no such thing s too much knowledge. take advantage of anything you can, even if you never use it. believe me, at some point it will be useful in some way. plus it always looks good on a resume.

taking all of those courses and training seminars, and adding to my knowledge base in my field led to being more qualified to move into supervisory roles as well. in one shop I supervised, I was the only mechanic, and supervisor with master certifications in several fields of mechanics. I held more certifications than even my superiors in that shop.

another thing that helps is taking on the jobs that no one else wants or can't work on, and learning them better than anyone else. one shop we got a new alignment machine to align large trucks. no one else wanted to mess with it because it was time consuming and hard to work with, and hard to set up to even use the thing. well, I had taken the demonstrators training course when the representative brought to the shop. I also took all the training material and the operations manuals home with me and studied them and learned how to operate the machine. and I ended up being the one doing about 90% of all the alignments in the shop. once I learned it's little quirks, it was easy work for me.

absorb all you can, and learn as much that is available to you.

"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
AZdave Likes This 
Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ditto on what Dallas said, just be aware of the requirements of the course which includes being a member of law enforcement, military, firearms instructor, etc.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok I see what you guys are saying so thanks. But being a certified Glock armorer do you get warranty work from glock?

Old 03-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3317 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2122

Are the mechanics certified by GM or Ford the best auto repair service in your geography? I have found that gun smiths with a proven record are the best. The manufactures certification for one brand or product is actually more of a promotion.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

Liked 1204 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
Are the mechanics certified by GM or Ford the best auto repair service in your geography? I have found that gun smiths with a proven record are the best. The manufactures certification for one brand or product is actually more of a promotion.
While this^^^ is true, when you walk into a gunsmith's shop and you see he has taken a certification from say Smith and Glock whether you have any of those guns or not at least you know the gunsmith is actively getting training and helps put your mind at ease about leaving your favorite gun with a guy you don't know. For a gunsmith starting out the certifications would have a much greater benefit than to the gunsmith that has been in business for twenty years.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
having been through many vehicle certifications courses in the past, i have to disagree. it's not just a promotion. you have to take tests and prove that you understand the material before getting those certifications. you don't just show up and they hand them out.

in most larger dealerships, those certifications are what they also use to judge pay scales. the better a technician you are, and the more certifications that you have achieved, means more difficult jobs that make you more per hour, and more money, than a tech with lesser skill levels and less certifications.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."

Old 03-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3317 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2122

If that is all true? Then why do you have to return your S&W to the factory for warranty coverage? The best repair centers I know of, posted a Certificate of Training from the Colorado School of Gun Smith.

http://gunsmithschool.net/?utm_source=go&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=bing&_v srefdom=4TCRC1ryF0iZGhvdUMNzSQ

Last edited by CaptMidnight; 03-31-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
If that is all true? Then why do you have to return your S&W to the factory for warranty coverage? The best repair centers I know of, posted a Certificate of Training from the Colorado School of Gun Smith.

http://gunsmithschool.net/?utm_source=go&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=bing&_v srefdom=4TCRC1ryF0iZGhvdUMNzSQ
it may have to with what repairs are needed. i know that many manufacturers use authorized service centers for repairs and work done under warranty. many times they are independents who have a technician on staff that has gone through factory authorized training on their products, so that they have localized repair centers that can fix or repair the products, rather than having the customer send the item to the factory for repairs. it speeds up the repair times massively. if you drive to a factory authorized repair center to drop off your weedeater for repairs, you might be able to get it backin say a few days or maybe a week, vs. sending it back to the factory, and getting it back in a few weeks to a couple of months.

and many times, those certifications also work for doing work as certified technician on those same products that are out of warranty.

and the case also may be, to send it back to the factory in the case of the warranty coverage. some will have you send it back to the factory for warranty repairs, and some have authorized factory repair centers all over the place. like say a Dodge truck that is still under warranty. well i may have bought that truck in Texas, but if i'm in say, Ohio, and i needed warranty repairs, i can wheel into any Dodge dealership in Ohio and get my repairs done. now once that vehicle is out of warranty, i can take it to just about any repair shop and have them do the repairs. but at my cost.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5430 Times on 2558 Posts
Likes Given: 2643

IMO
Unless one has physically gone to the factory for professional training on the weapon system which normally is a week or more. Most of the Certifications in the field are mostly for the persons personal knowledge or a pretty piece of paper (Certificate) to hang on the wall. The reason I say this is because you can hardly learn to be a good Armorer in a couple of days. And these courses are very basic at best. Glock does offer an Advanced Glock Armorer Course in the field but I do not know what the parameters to be eligible to attend it is at the present. It is more in depth than the general very basic armorer course they offer. When I attended it years ago you had to have the Glock Regional Sale Representative sign off to be able to attend it? Maybe the requirement has changed? In addition, one must do armorer work on the type weapon system very frequently or they lose what knowledge they received in any armorer class. I do have a friend in Indianapolis who is a superior Glock Armorer but he is an independent armorer. Good luck and wishing you the best on your endeavor.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment

Last edited by Sniper03; 03-31-2017 at 09:34 PM.
People Like This