Cast vs Forged - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Cast vs Forged

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2895 Times on 1669 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

MY OPINION.
Cast can leave pockets undetecteable by the eye. Though today's casting techniques does reduce that risk.

But, I am old fashioned.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanx Jim, I appreciate your knowledge & wisdom. Good shooting! jd45

Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

paco kelly doesnt have decades of experience with thousands and thousands of guns on the market. he has prolly done a couple hundred maybe a thousand at utmost. the manufacturer says the pressure is such due to tons of feedback and samples that have gone kaboom.

while paco kelly may not have personally blown up a gun doing what he is doing, much like elmer keith he is giving incredibly terrible advice on things he isnt a real expert on. just because he has done something for a bit without incident doesnt mean what he is doing is wise or smart.

to find out EXACTLY how much pressure a certain gun withstand it is tested to destruction. this means ramping up the pressure until something goes kaboom with a regular basis. since i seriously doubt paco kelly has the scientific measuring equipment to ascertain exact pressures and i really doubt he chops up his guns into pieces looking for stress cracks or even magnafluxes regularly looking for cracks i wouldnt do what he does,

most firearms can handle far beyound their rated pressures. and can do it for a while. the thing is that the more pressure you exert on metal the weaker it gets. this is a cumalitive thing when it is done past a given metal's fail point. the fail point is usually the stress level that does harm to the crystalline structure of steel and makes it more brittle over repeated stress exposure.

so if your gun is rated for 25000 and paco kelly says, oh ive run mine at 55000 a lot what he is doing is building up stress in that gun which can lead to a catastrophic disassembly of the said firearm over many repeated firings.

on a side note, the barrel threading and reciever threading may not be the same so it might be a moot point anyway

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanx for the replies guys. JonM, your point about Paco not having the wherewithall to be able to do the required testing is well taken. I wish Armi San Marco was still in business, so I could check what their cast-receivered rifle might be rated for' pressurewise. It'd save me some money if I could just leave that barrel where it is. Anyway I was assuming they might have the same metric thread, since they're both assembled outside the U.S., tho the ARMI has a U.S. made Clerke barrel. And BTW, I wouldn't go NEAR Paco Kelly-level loads, even in the Rossi.Thanx again, jd45

Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

One thing to consider, is the design of the 94, the firing stress goes mainly into the locking block, which is that relatively thin piece that moves up and down behind the bolt as you work the lever. The weakest part being the thinner peices running in the track in the reciever. As you over pressure the gun, these will work harden. When they give way, the bolt WILL fly straight back ripping out your cheek and possibly your eye. Im not saying the gun will fail at those pressures, but I am saying if it does, it will be the locking block that goes, and your face is in direct line. Unlike a bolt action gun, the 94 bolt rides in a track that WILL direct the bolt straight back, not up and out. Lever guns were not designed for high pressures. Maybe the browning rotating bolt design could be played with since it was designed to shoot higher pressure modern loads. Some gun desighn are inherintly stronger and even some are safer when they do fail, the 94 aint in that class, if the luggs shear of that locking block kiss your face good by!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

triggerjob, thanx for the insight on how the '94 action is affected by the pressures of hot loads, but I'm dealing with rifles based on the 1892 design, which is a much stronger design with today's metallurgy. Rossi has chambered their '92s for a few years now in, among others, the .454 Casull cartridge, with no ill effects, so I'm told, but I'm not going anywhere NEAR those pressures. I'll be toppin out @ 32,000-35,000cup in my Rossi, once it's all back together with the barrel from the other rifle. jd45

Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Yes, sorry I mis combobulated your question. The 92 does have extra beefy lugs.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I assume mis-combobulated is a technical gunsmithing term? (grin) jd45