Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   can't get my barrel to polish! help please! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/cant-get-my-barrel-polish-help-please-57590/)

Broke124 02-12-2012 11:27 PM

can't get my barrel to polish! help please!

Okay so I saw some pics on here of bright shiny silver Glock barrels and wanted to polish mine to that extent. I can't find anything to remove the blue whatsoever. I've tried multiple polishing compounds, and one rubbing compound. All of the attempts were done with my dremel and polishing attachment. All to no avail. Any ideas on proper technique and more especially proper compounds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

rigjumpr 02-12-2012 11:49 PM

did you soak it first? research my friend reserch.

Broke124 02-13-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigjumpr
did you soak it first? research my friend reserch.

No didn't know I had to. Soak it in what?.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

rigjumpr 02-13-2012 10:25 AM

I'm looking for a thread with step X step ......

jgatt187 04-09-2012 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mothers mag polish, Dremel tool, and small felt polishing wheels. It'll look like chrome after an hour of polishing.

Attachment 43295

judgecrater 03-15-2013 06:48 AM

Most of the bright barrel you see are stainless barrels from Lone Wolf or KKM.

atrbertothy 03-16-2013 05:44 AM

All glocks have a coating on the medal to stop rusting. You would have to start with a course stone or sand paper to remove the coating, and then move to fine grits, but it would be better to use an aftermarket barrel, because if you change to dementions at the locking serface of the barrel you can make an unsafe weapon.

keystonetarget 03-22-2013 04:10 AM

I would leave that coating the way it is. In addition to corrosion resistance the coating has some self lubricating properties.

GrtWhytHype 03-25-2013 04:28 PM

Holy crap! Do NOT sand your barrel! Soak it in vinegar then rub it down with green scotch brite pad. The vinegar reacts with the bluing and the scotch brite rubs off remaining bluing. Soak it for a couple mins. As soon as you drop it in you'll see it start to bubble. It will have a bit of a rusted looked to it but after you rub it, it'll start to look cleaner. After you've removed the bluing then polish it with a polish compound (i use mothers mag and aluminum) and a rag! No SANDING! Sanding internal components changes dimensions and even the slightest change can affect the firearm.

Also, remember that the bluing is a protective coat. It protects against rust so you risk rust forming unless you keep on top of it or do something like clear coat duracoat.

GrtWhytHype 03-25-2013 04:30 PM

Oh yeah. Plug up both sides of the barrel with cotton balls so as to keep the vinegar from affecting the grooves of your barrel. Good idea to give it a GOOD cleaning after you're done with all of this.