Can't drift rear sight on Ruger SR40C

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Can't drift rear sight on Ruger SR40C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Default Can't drift rear sight on Ruger SR40C

I just picked up a nice new Ruger SR40C. It shoot like a dream. Nice tight groups at 21 feet, but just about 2 inches left. I loosened the set screw with a 5/64 allen wrench per the instructions, but I can't drift the darn sight to the right. I've been banging on it pretty hard with a plactic bullet puller (which is made of really hard plactic), but it just won't move. I haven't tried putting it in a vise yet as I didn't wanna damage anything. Is a brass punch really necessary. Any suggestions?

Just found a couple of posts on various gun forums that suggested putting the slide in the freezer overnight. I'll try that tomorrow night, unless someone here thinks that's a bad idea.

One other thing, does anyone make fully (and easily) adjustable sights for this gun (not night sights). I like to experiment with my hand loads and need to easily be able to adjust the rear sight.

Thanks Guys,

Semper Fi

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

It could be because bullet pullers are fairly light. If you have a plastic hammer you may want to try tapping on it with something like that which has a little more weight

Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmdl View Post
It could be because bullet pullers are fairly light. If you have a plastic hammer you may want to try tapping on it with something like that which has a little more weight
Thanks elfmdl. Good idea. I'll try using the bullet puller as a punch and bang on that with something heavier.

Thanks Again,

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.