Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Can they really match a fired bullet to specific firearm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a friend that is a tool and die man that has been going on about this for a year or so. His thought is with tool steel being much better than it was years ago it can be more likely now days to make more than one bbl that can have similar enough marks that it could be argued that they have the wrong gun.
I don't see it. I admit I'm no tool maker but still....there are so many other variables to consider other than the bbl and chamber of a handgun. Firing pins/strikers, extractors etc make it a lot harder to deny the bad gun even if you could make more than one bbl with ther same lans & grooves. Plus the little things we all do with our guns. The manner of cleaning, frequency of cleaning, type of ammo used over time. All these things make a gun a lot more individual.

I guess if one was to use a disposable bbl and keep your matching number bbl for if someone asks to see your gun.

There was some book or magazine I remember years ago that this German guy had figured out a way to wrap rounds in a manner that kept the bullet from touching the bbl. It's been years and I can't remember the specifics anymore. It seems though that was with a rifle not a handgun. But I honestly can't remember anymore. It's an interesting concept though Basically the paper wrapped round would use the paper to grab the rifling and spin the round and fly off after the round left the bbl at some point. It seemed an awful lot of work and I can't believe it was very accurate but it was supposed to work as an untraceable round.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Junkie- guess you have never seen these, huh?

Name:  accelerator.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  32.6 KB

That is the Remington Accelerator. Made in 30-06, .308, and 30-30. The projectile is a 55 grain .25 caliber bullet, sitting in a plastic sabot. The sabot leaves the bullet about 18 inches from the muzzle. The .308 had a claimed velocity of 4,200 fps, the 30-06 about 4,500.

Rifling never touches the bullet, only the sabot.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

big shrek Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16918 Times on 9805 Posts
Likes Given: 44108

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Attachment 108307

That is the Remington Accelerator. Made in 30-06, .308, and 30-30. The projectile is a 55 grain .25 caliber bullet, sitting in a plastic sabot. The sabot leaves the bullet about 18 inches from the muzzle. The .308 had a claimed velocity of 4,200 fps, the 30-06 about 4,500.

Rifling never touches the bullet, only the sabot.
i have seen them before, and have several times thought about buying some, but are they accurate?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #14

Liked 647 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 390

And what is the purpose? They are faster than the normal bullet for that caliber? If so, to what end?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
I have a friend that is a tool and die man that has been going on about this for a year or so. His thought is with tool steel being much better than it was years ago it can be more likely now days to make more than one bbl that can have similar enough marks that it could be argued that they have the wrong gun.
I don't see it. I admit I'm no tool maker but still....there are so many other variables to consider other than the bbl and chamber of a handgun. Firing pins/strikers, extractors etc make it a lot harder to deny the bad gun even if you could make more than one bbl with ther same lans & grooves. Plus the little things we all do with our guns. The manner of cleaning, frequency of cleaning, type of ammo used over time. All these things make a gun a lot more individual.

I guess if one was to use a disposable bbl and keep your matching number bbl for if someone asks to see your gun.

There was some book or magazine I remember years ago that this German guy had figured out a way to wrap rounds in a manner that kept the bullet from touching the bbl. It's been years and I can't remember the specifics anymore. It seems though that was with a rifle not a handgun. But I honestly can't remember anymore. It's an interesting concept though Basically the paper wrapped round would use the paper to grab the rifling and spin the round and fly off after the round left the bbl at some point. It seemed an awful lot of work and I can't believe it was very accurate but it was supposed to work as an untraceable round.
The tool and die guys argument was my thought when I first posed the question. Extractor and firing pin marks are only relevant if you have the brass. Maybe there are still microscopic differences between barrels that came off the same machine one right after the other but I'm not convinced they would show up on a bullet.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who posted. Good food for thought.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76239dave View Post
The tool and die guys argument was my thought when I first posed the question. Extractor and firing pin marks are only relevant if you have the brass. Maybe there are still microscopic differences between barrels that came off the same machine one right after the other but I'm not convinced they would show up on a bullet.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who posted. Good food for thought.
Well..Like I said I"m no tool maker. My frfiend is very good at what he does s I really have no way to doubt him. The idea that the same tool will make more barrels today then they did even 30 years ago does make it a valid question. Being I don't see many peopel in a shooting hunt down their brass though I think that is sometime to think about. Brass is much softer than the steel in the gun. So it's not far fetched to think that there can be a unique transfer of tool marks etc.When yo uare looking at slugs and cases under high magnification I would imagine those little marks will show up just fine..

Quote:
I've seen and read about the ammo before but I've not handled or used it. So I have no working knowledge of how well it works.I had forgot about those truthfully. I got on the paper wrap guy and went and let my CRS syndrome take control again.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Paper patched bullets were very common for big bores rifles around 1890-1910 era.

Re: Accelerators- accuracy was about as good as the parent caliber/rifle. Use? Faster than crap varmint round. Standard 30-06 is about 2,600 fps. These were 4,500 fps. For some years, they laid claim to being THE fastest factory rifle load in the world. May still be. My .220 Swift runs about 4,100 with really hot loads. Even the .204 Ruger is not THAT fast.

You CAN buy the sabots and reload your own- which makes some very interesting 7.62x39, and 7.62x25 ammo.....

BTW- when a forensic investigator is comparing bullets, this is what he sees. The microscope has 2 sets of lenses, lets him put one bullet under each, and see if they match when being rotated. Red line is the end of one bullet, start of another. HIGHLY magnified.

Name:  ballistic comparison.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  29.8 KB

Last edited by c3shooter; 06-30-2013 at 11:55 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #18
hmh

Liked 128 Times on 88 Posts

Popular Science or Popular Mechanics did a test were they sent test bullets and arms to the best crime labs in the country and they almost all came back with different results?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Got a link to the story?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #20
hmh

Liked 128 Times on 88 Posts

I read it the good old fashon way