Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Can they really match a fired bullet to specific firearm? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/can-they-really-match-fired-bullet-specific-firearm-93039/)

76239dave 06-28-2013 03:56 AM

Can they really match a fired bullet to specific firearm?
 
On TV shows like CSI they are always matching fired bullets to specific firearms like the rifling is as unique as a fingerprint. I can't see how the rifling marks on a bullet would vary enough from barrel to barrel made on the same machine. Does anybody know if the marks are really that
unique?

indy36 06-28-2013 04:49 AM

Yes, they are. Firing pin punches, extractor marks, they are like fingerprints for guns.

robocop10mm 06-28-2013 04:54 AM

Yup. Ballistic fingerprinting an the NIBN database are very reliable. The one caveat is Glock bullets. The Glock factory barrels do not leave sufficient marks to identify (99% of the time)

Buckeyeborn 06-28-2013 05:00 AM

Hell they can match machine marks on and by a pipe wrench on a pipe bomb part!

winds-of-change 06-28-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1288992)
he one caveat is Glock bullets. The Glock factory barrels do not leave sufficient marks to identify (99% of the time)

That is very interesting.

deadsp0t 06-28-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Yup. Ballistic fingerprinting an the NIBN database are very reliable. The one caveat is Glock bullets. The Glock factory barrels do not leave sufficient marks to identify (99% of the time)

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change

That is very interesting.

Agreed.. It's strange because we've all herd the myths about glocks and metal detectors etc but this is definitely a new tidbit for me..
I'd love to read an article about it.. :intrigued:

c3shooter 06-28-2013 08:07 PM

First is a gross match- caliber, number of lands and grooves, right or left hand twist, then microscopic comparison of marks. Bullets can be so damaged as to not be comparable. Wear for an extended time or deliberate machining/ parts replacement will change the "signature" on the rounds.

CAN apply to bullets, firing pin/extractor marks, and chamber marks.

JonM 06-30-2013 03:33 AM

they also have to get the gun pretty quickly after the crime. a couple hundred more shots or some rust or some vigourous cleaning will changed the characteristics pretty quickly. a 100% match will go to 99-95-90-80-70% in short order.

its just like matching tire tracks or any other item that wears from use or abuse or time.

whats more important as evidence will be fingerprints, dna, serial numbers, witnesses, purchase records, interviews, timelines, alibis etc. ballistic evidence sounds cool but its only a very minor player in a court case.

someone that commits a crime (murder) with a gun is almost certain to have blood spatter or other body fluids on their clothes.

ballistic matching looks cool on tv but unless you have the murder weapon its not going to go into a CSI computer and spit a name out with X bullet matches Y suspect's gun now go find the gun. thats utter bs.

Axxe55 06-30-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1290870)
they also have to get the gun pretty quickly after the crime. a couple hundred more shots or some rust or some vigourous cleaning will changed the characteristics pretty quickly. a 100% match will go to 99-95-90-80-70% in short order.

its just like matching tire tracks or any other item that wears from use or abuse or time.

whats more important as evidence will be fingerprints, dna, serial numbers, witnesses, purchase records, interviews, timelines, alibis etc. ballistic evidence sounds cool but its only a very minor player in a court case.

someone that commits a crime (murder) with a gun is almost certain to have blood spatter or other body fluids on their clothes.

ballistic matching looks cool on tv but unless you have the murder weapon its not going to go into a CSI computer and spit a name out with X bullet matches Y suspect's gun now go find the gun. thats utter bs.

and it usually takes longer than the hour long TV program too!

ballistics are just part of the entire evidence chain. even DNA is useless until they have a person to compare it to. and just another detail that's used to verify who did what and who didn't.

good post JonM!

deadsp0t 06-30-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
they also have to get the gun pretty quickly after the crime. a couple hundred more shots or some rust or some vigourous cleaning will changed the characteristics pretty quickly. a 100% match will go to 99-95-90-80-70% in short order.

its just like matching tire tracks or any other item that wears from use or abuse or time.

whats more important as evidence will be fingerprints, dna, serial numbers, witnesses, purchase records, interviews, timelines, alibis etc. ballistic evidence sounds cool but its only a very minor player in a court case.

someone that commits a crime (murder) with a gun is almost certain to have blood spatter or other body fluids on their clothes.

ballistic matching looks cool on tv but unless you have the murder weapon its not going to go into a CSI computer and spit a name out with X bullet matches Y suspect's gun now go find the gun. thats utter bs.

That makes good sense!! Ty!


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.