Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Can a gunsmith or a welder weld a byonet lug onto a mossberg 500 barrel? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/can-gunsmith-welder-weld-byonet-lug-onto-mossberg-500-barrel-70423/)

Hdq 08-15-2012 10:27 PM

I saw a mossberg 590 at big 5 it already comes with a bayonet lug on it from factory and an 18 inch barrel the only problem is that it does not have an option for a longer barrel for hunting or shooting clay and it was 420$ i know i can buy a mossberg 500 magazine and tube and put it on the 590 but id end up paying 530$ just for the shotgun with 2 barrels instead i saw a mossberg 500 that comes with 2! Barrels one 18 inch and one 26 inch and it was only 350$!! So i was thinking about just welding on a bayonet lug to the 18 inch barrel would it warp and mess up the inside of the barrel? Would it snap off? And please dont bash on me for wanting a bayonet lug on a shotgun i know its silly but it just looks kick ass :)

mountainman13 08-15-2012 10:33 PM

Pretty much guaranteed to kill atleast the finish on if not the barrel. Maybe a good solid band with the lug welded to it is a better idea?

mt232 08-15-2012 10:35 PM

Someone who can TIG weld very well should be able to do it with no harm to the barrel. I would try to find a welder in your area and ask their opinion about it though.

kryptar19 08-16-2012 12:46 AM

Adding extreme heat to a shotgun barrel is not a good idea. Im sure it will cause cracks and splintering, which can cause the barrel to blow up. If you had a short barrel and an extended tube you could weld it to the tube.

JonM 08-16-2012 12:59 AM

just have it externally threaded for something like a polychoke or internally threaded for standard chokes. lack of chokes are the real issue not really barrel length. barrel length aids in being able to quickly point the gun and "aim" at longer ranges. being properly choked trumps barrel length in shotpatterning at range.

its kinda like handguns a snubby isnt less accurate than a 6 inch barrel its just lacking the sight radius to make it easier to hit at longer range.

dont get me wrong. im not saying that short barrels are better for hunting, they arent. im just saying that they arent completely useless. they are just a slight bit, not much, worse than longer hunting barrels when they are properly choked

masterPsmith 08-16-2012 10:55 PM

Yes, you can have a bayo lug welded on the shotgun barrel, providing it's done properly with a Tig welder. Most shotgun combat sights are silver soldered (brazed) on, which imparts quite a bit more heat to the barrel than a proper Tig weld would. You could then use touch-up blue to finish the job. If it was me doing the weld-on, it would cost you in the neighborhood of $65-$75 to do it properly. When you take it to a smith or a well qualified welder, expect to pay +/- $10...............

Jim........

Hdq 08-17-2012 12:12 AM

Wow thanks master p smith id be happy be to pay 80$ for a bayonet lug it beats buying a 450$ shotgun! Ill see if there are any gunsmiths that will do it :)

Intheshop 08-18-2012 09:12 AM

I use a Tig almost everyday in our fabrication shop.Its an extremely clean and precise process.But,theres some inherent differences in not only welding on guns but to a slight lessor degree,the machines to do so.

I could probably do it with my eyes closed......."probably" don't cut it.You need to find someone who specializes in this,IMO.Good luck....do some research and make a few calls.