Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Can a factory rifle barrel be re-chambered ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can a factory rifle barrel be re-chambered ?

Can a Savage factory rifle barrel be re-chambered ? from 243 to 6 mm BR or
6x 47 Lapua? I understand it will need to be shortened where it screw into to breach. Is there enough material to cut extra thread. Is it as simple as just running a reamer into barrel?

Can this be done?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1730 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 545

It would probably be simpler and cheaper to get a new barrel in the chamber you want. It would not be a problem to switch back later if you wanted. Savage is very easy to swap barrels. Besides the twist rate for the 243 may not be optimal for the new round.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19944 Times on 11333 Posts
Likes Given: 50291

it could be done, possibly, depending on whether there is enough material in the chamber area when you change the chamber dimensions. but i agree with JTJ, it would be much easier and cheaper to buy a new barrel with the twist ratio to match the cartridge you plan on chambering it for.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Default Cost of barrel

The problem I have is I live in New Zealand. Barrel cost ? $250 USD export charge for a barrel $300 USD freight cost $60USD? 12.5% Tax at my end on total cost.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1730 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Ouch! Talk to a gunsmith capable of doing the work correctly and find out what it will cost you. I really dont see the benefit of either round over the 243 which is essentially a 6x51. I am guessing that you hand load and properly loaded the 243 is a very accurate round. The one my wife had was shooting 5 shot groups under .5 moa with hand loads of course. Several 1 hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards not much bigger than the bullet. Remington factory was under 1 moa. What is the length and taper of your current barrel? Hers was a standard taper but cut back to 19" so the barrel was short and stout. The stock was shortened to a 12" LOP as she is small and the rifle was sized to her on both ends. I had to go with a powder on the faster side and was using 100 grain spire points. Velocity was a little on the plus side of 2800 fps.
I googled savage replacement barrels new zealand and came up with several websites. Below is one link.
http://www.truefliteriflebarrels.co.nz/13544/4709.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 04-07-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add link

Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddersnz View Post
The problem I have is I live in New Zealand. Barrel cost ? $250 USD export charge for a barrel $300 USD freight cost $60USD? 12.5% Tax at my end on total cost.

You gotta have a barrel maker in NZ that can do it cheaper?

I have a friend in NZ says, everything but mutton and earthquakes is
imported... or something like that.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Twist rates are the big factor when rechambering for any caliber.