Can anyone tell me if i need a ffl
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Can anyone tell me if i need a ffl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can anyone tell me if i need a ffl

Can anyone tell me if I need any special requirements to purchase/ replace the firing pin on my semi automatic m1 carbine. I know I can install it myself but where can I get one. The previous owner didn't keep the bolt clean and it went full auto, destroying the ejector.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 AM   #2

The weapon wont fire, nor has it in 25 years. Thank you for the advise but please don't jump to conclusions.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

there's people that know much more than me, but I'm pretty sure you don't need one. If you could order it online and the site/ad doesn't say something along the lines of "must ship to ffl" I would just order it and not worry about it.
This is not legal advice. Just what I would do.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

A FFL is required to receive a firearm transferred across a state line, or to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns. You are doing neither. BTW, the part that is legally a "gun" is the receiver (frame) everything else is parts.

A firing pin for an M1 Carbine will run you about $20 and change plus shipping from gunpartscorp.com, if you want one that matches the make of your carbine. A generic one is a few bucks cheaper.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:54 AM   #5

Default FFl

youcan do repairs to your guns. but if you repair others guns and keep them overnite you will need an ffl(even if you don't charge them.

you say the ejaector was detroyed, If you haven't already you will need to get one of those. I would also get an extractor

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman770 View Post
youcan do repairs to your guns. but if you repair others guns and keep them overnite you will need an ffl(even if you don't charge them.

you say the ejaector was detroyed, If you haven't already you will need to get one of those. I would also get an extractor
so you are saying that because i had my fathers shot gun at my house, refinishing the stocks, i have to get an FFL? i have never heard of such, please back up your statement with facts. BTW the said shotgun never crossed a county line or state line, he lives 1/2 mile from me down the road.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:37 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 84

if you had a ffl !and the whole gun you would need to keep records of it but you dont so the point is moot . to order parts if it is not the reciever (s/n)you can buy most any part you need

Old 10-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
so you are saying that because i had my fathers shot gun at my house, refinishing the stocks, i have to get an FFL? i have never heard of such, please back up your statement with facts. BTW the said shotgun never crossed a county line or state line, he lives 1/2 mile from me down the road.
Is refinishing guns for others a hobby? Do you make money refinishing guns?

If you can say yes to both questions, then I would suggest getting an FFL and business license.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Is refinishing guns for others a hobby? Do you make money refinishing guns?

If you can say yes to both questions, then I would suggest getting an FFL and business license.
i only do my own as a hobby, and only did my fathers shotgun as a favor of a son to his father. didn't charge him anything, as a matter of fact, you might say i paid him. the day he dropped off the shotgun, i cooked steaks and my wife and i had him over for dinner! i was a shotgun my father inherited from my grandfather and had been in the closet for many years and needed some cleaning and refinishing. i don't work on guns for other people as i have a full time job and have plenty of my own to work on. i am strickly a hobbiest.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Axe, you just put your finger on the fine point. If you are "engaged in the business" of selling or repairing guns- that requires a license. The term "Engaged in the business" of gunsmithing has been defined in law. Yes, it is in writing.

(d) Gunsmith. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms

Do it for a living- FFL
Do it as a favor- no

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.