Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > business owners - military surplus questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Default business owners - military surplus questions

I recall back in the 90s everything military surplus was vietnam era US stuff and soviet stuff (LOTS OF IT!) and oh how cheap it was!
Nowadays that does not seem to be the case at all. Vietnam era stuff commands high prices and soviet gear has almost run out. So this puts todays businessman in a tight spot for military surplus gear. I'll be starting my own gunsmithing/dealing shop up in about 10 months. So I'm wondering some thing about the modern day issue of military surplus gear. Maybe you can help me out by answering a few questions?

- is there even such a thing today? Is the age of cheap old army junk long gone?
- who are the main dealers? If I wanted to buy a few case of coatsof something similar, who would I need to talk to, and where do they get their stuff?
- what countries are offering it up? It used to be the US/USSR/DDR, but it's hard to get now. If there are nations dishing it out, who are they?

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Government liquidation sites are very good but police and fire departments get first bids on everything, you can still get pretty good deals http://www.govliquidation.com/

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Most "surplus" now is cheap repro. I am a military collector, as well as a gun enthusiast. The original stuff can still be found in plentiful numbers, but it is mostly modern stuff, not much nam or soviet stuff. I noticed there is a lot of Czech, Yugo, Romanian, and some Russian stuff out there now. The only problem with the original gear is that the prices are high, which is why many stores turn to repros and cheap stuff.
In terms of surplus, a lot of people buy paracord, BDU uniforms, helmets, and ammo collectibles.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

The Army is toying wiht the idea of going away from ACUs. When it does there will be a hiuge supply of that stuff cheap.
I cant say if it will be in time to help your business get started though.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #5

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

There is still a decent supply of German and Swiss 1970-1980-1990 stuff out there as well as former yugo states.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.