Burst mode

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Burst mode

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1083 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Default Burst mode

Just how does , say a 3 round burst work in , say a m16 ? I understand full but is there a sort of ratcheting action or what? Just how in the hell does it know to fire 3 every time and reset ? From what I understand the boys in action dont even have a rock n roll option any more due to waste of ammo

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8861 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Yes, it is a bit like rachet. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=852/schematicsdetail/M16_M4_Lower_Receiver___Fire_Control___Burst See the little wheel with the 3 teeth? Whether you have a rock and roll option depends on the rifle. The m16 did, the M4 did not (triburst) the M4A1 does. Most shooters cannot really use the full auto option that well- you were really supposed to use in a 3 shot burst anyway. Want to try something that is a hoot- shoot the original firing port weapon for the Bradley. Looks a bit like an M16, full auto only, ABOUT 1100 rounds per minute cyclic.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-12-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5672 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Three round burst is a mechanical device to enforce fire discipline in place of actual training. You dont always get 3 for every pull. If the last mag went dry at 1 into the burst the next will only have 2.

I never liked it. I took the three round parts out and installed a full auto sear in my issue a2. Took them 2 years to catch on due to my ability to control my rifle. There are times when you need a 5 or6 round burst and with a mechanical crutch it isnt there.

I always think of three round burst as a handicap.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Three round burst is a mechanical device to enforce fire discipline in place of actual training. You dont always get 3 for every pull. If the last mag went dry at 1 into the burst the next will only have 2.

I never liked it. I took the three round parts out and installed a full auto sear in my issue a2. Took them 2 years to catch on due to my ability to control my rifle. There are times when you need a 5 or6 round burst and with a mechanical crutch it isnt there.

I always think of three round burst as a handicap.
3 fer 1, If your lucky.
OP, this is why sqauds are armed w/ different weapons. The A2 is great for distance, M4 for rapid CC, and the SAW to suppress an area so the rest can manuver. My Nepwew Matt in Iraq dumped his M4 and grabbed an M16A2 at the 1st chance. Targets were often at 200+ yards w/ rocket launchers and the A2 did the job. Each tool has a purpose.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 05-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5672 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
3 fer 1, If your lucky.
OP, this is why sqauds are armed w/ different weapons. The A2 is great for distance, M4 for rapid CC, and the SAW to suppress an area so the rest can manuver. My Nepwew Matt in Iraq dumped his M4 and grabbed an M16A2 at the 1st chance. Targets were often at 200+ yards w/ rocket launchers and the A2 did the job. Each tool has a purpose.
when i was in there was no such thing as a m4 and the SAW wasnt in our inventory. it was the m60 and m16a2. the a2's poorly designed 3 round burst was like a box of chocolates never know how many rounds your gonna get lol

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...