Bulged barrel

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Bulged barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Bulged barrel

I recently got a Mexican Mauser rifle dated 1937. I noticed that when cleaning with a brush or a patch, the drag along the length of the barrel is not constant. About 4 inches back from the muzzle, the drag on the brush goes way down. Ahead of that point or behind it the drag feels normal. So I put the calipers on the barrel. The suspected bulge measures .695 inch diameter and the places in front or behind measure .687 inch diameter. Is there a way to correct this or just let it go. I cannot imagine that it is an improvement to the gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2692 Times on 1871 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Don't fire it. Have it inspected by a gunsmith.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #3

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Some rifles will maintain accuracy with bulge. It depends if it has enough rifling after it passes the "Jump". The only real option is to have the barrel cut and crowned behind the bulge.
If the little Mauser is nice I would consider a new barrel turned to the original dimensions.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #4

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Some rifles will maintain accuracy with bulge.
True.................................

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6021 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

i would say if its got enough length to stay legal have it choopped and crowned. a lot of those old war uns perform better with shorter barrels. it stiffens them and can improve accuracy and reduces heat buildup.

if its too far back to stay legal rebarrel it. i personally wouldnt shoot it with a bulge

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #6

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Very true. I would scope the bulge. If it has a metal fracture in the expanded area it may not be forgiving.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If the .008 distortion is distributed in the entire circumference it is only about 1% but if is restricted to small portion of the circumference it can be at least 10% distortion. There is no way to know how much stress (pressure) it can withstand. You could shoot it once and have a catastrophic failure, or it may never fail. How much do you value your physical well being? I believe I heard that some of the Mex Mausers had questionable metal.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.