Bulge in barrel
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Bulge in barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bulge in barrel

Pre-Model-18, everything perfect except: The barrel has a bulge in it (Not sure where, haven't seen it yet). Only fix is to replace the barrel or cut it behind the bulge and reattach the front sight, right?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Pre Mod-18 what ??? I would recemend replacing the barrel. The barrel can be stressed for 2 inches or more from the point of the bulge.

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Default masterPsmith

Apologize, this is a Smith & Wesson pre Model 18 revolver, looks new except for the bulge I am told. Have not seen it yet so am only going by the description I have received vie E mail! Do appreciate your reply.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #4

Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Your only choice is to replace the barrel. It was probably shot with a squib load then shot again. Squib loads are underpowered loads where the bullet don't have enough energy to exit the barrel.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #5

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

If I remember right that is a 22 caliber. If so you could very likely just shoot it the way it is. I have seen many 22's with a ring(bulge) in the barrels that shot just fine and with good accuracy.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The Smith & Wesson pre Model 18 is a K-frame revolver.

Depending on the price, you could wind up stealing the thing with the "need" to replace the barrel angle.

Ask the owner if he still shoots it.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #7

Default Thanks for the replies

Unfortunately the owner is an accomplished S&W collector and does know how much this would be valued without the bulge. It has all the goodies that make it a very attractive acquisition, Cleaning Tools, Paperwork, Gold Box and the correct Sight Adjustment Tool. Most of you will know that the serial number is stamped on the barrel flat of the Pre-Model revolvers in addition to several other places. If the barrel is replaced, assuming a replacement can be found, it will be a really good shooter grade revolver since the number will not match the number on the frame butt flat and the collector value will be lost. Yes, this is a K-frame Combat Masterpiece in .22LR caliber (4" barrel). Thank you all for your interest and your input, Will any of you offer an opinion as to the worth(value) of this revolver in its present described condition?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3531 Times on 2026 Posts
Likes Given: 1558

Pics would be nice. Is the bulge visible externally? Or was it "felt" when cleaning?

I got a firearm at a decent price from an individual who did not have a reputation for cleaning, and the "bulge" was an area in the barrel that did not have build up.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #9

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It will probably shoot just fine as it is. With the barrel bulged it's lost a lot of it's collector value.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #10

Default No Photos Available, Sorry!

Like I said before, I haven't seen the revolver and photos have not been offered but the owner is trustworthy as to description. I am in complete agreement that replacing the barrel is the only solution if the accuracy suffers from the bulge, if it doesn't affect the accuracy then there is not a problem except with the collector's value. Sure am appreciative to all who have responded, I'll look it over in the near future and make a decision as to whether I can make a reasonable trade for it or let it remain the present owner's property! Thanks again!