Building m4s AR-15s/ home gunsmithing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Building m4s AR-15s/ home gunsmithing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Building m4s AR-15s/ home gunsmithing

I know a guy who builds AR-15s and m4s I was wondering if I could build one myself and what would be the cheapest, and most effective way to get one

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Building one is little more than assembling one. There is no fitting required if using the proper parts. There are a few things that are tricky without the proper tools, though.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #3

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I recently started to do the same thing. A little investing in the proper tools and you're set

Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Tread carefully here. If you are talking about assembling them for resale you will need a manufacturers FFL, a business, etc. If you want to build them from scratch you will need a manufacturers FFL, etc (see above). If you want to assemble one for personal use go ahead. If they are true M4s you'll need an SOT stamp with your manufacturers FFL and some other items. I think a little more clarification on your intent would help.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #5

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I build for personal use but if someone offers to buy it I am willing. Would you still need a ffl to do gunsmithing/assembly but personally never owning any of the parts esp.the lower?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #6

I am enrolled in gunsmithing school, and in order to repair, build, or modify firearms that are not your personal firearms you must have an ffl.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #7

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige91603 View Post
I build for personal use but if someone offers to buy it I am willing. Would you still need a ffl to do gunsmithing/assembly but personally never owning any of the parts esp.the lower?
On personal builds that someone offers to purchase, no. However you are treading a very fine line, if the ATF catches wind that you are doing it to "attempt to make a livelihood". On gunsmithing, according to the ATF you do. Think of it this way, I'm a customer/friend/whatever and I come to you with all my parts and ask you to put them together for me. While that is considered gunsmithing and requires an A&D book from my understanding. What happens if I'm a dummy and load a hot round and blow up my rifle along with my hand. You know who I'm coming after? The guy who built it. Always CYA=Cover Your A$$

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

From the BATF website. There are references you REALLY want to check:

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for resale?
Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18 U.S.C. § 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #9

I do not plan on selling anything I make or assemble, but I would like to know how much it's going to cost me.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I've done one. The bill came out to under $600.
That was with stripped lower, a "complete" kit, sights, and mags.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)