Brutal Bore Jam - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Brutal Bore Jam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Wow. I was expecting it to be the other way around. If you could stand it up with the barrel pointing up, perhaps you could set it on a block of wood. Then take a pair of vice grips to the rod through the ejection port. Being very careful not to hit the rifle you could tap the vice grips with a hammer. I would not be surprized to find the barrel is already damaged. But who knows, you might get lucky.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #12

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I would think when you first got the wood stock it was still partialy in the chamber. Being larger than the bore it allowed the steel rod to move to one side and pass by the wood. Chances are you damaged the throat of the chamber. the only thing I can suggest now is to get a long BRASS rod and go through the muzzel and dislodge the metal rod. some bores are slightly larger at the breach end so once you get it moving it may get progressivly easier. If you do succeed removing it you'll have to have the bore scoped to assess the damage. Some lessons are easy and some are expensive. Hopefully you haven't had an expensive one. I know where there is a barrel of Mauser barreled receivers but I dont the cost of them.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
the only thing I can suggest now is to get a long BRASS rod and go through the muzzel and dislodge the metal rod.
That was my thought, I got a separate rod of weldable steel and pounded it down the muzzle. The wood/jammed rod is in there too well and no amount of pounding on the muzzle end will do it. Not even a small sledge could budge the thing. Will brass have more of an effect?

Rick, going to try your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
Use the acid. Actually, bad idea. But if you do, take video
You know I will.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds to me like 2 things-#1- the barrel (rifling) is badly damaged at this point, and #2- it's time to take it to your gunsmith.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #15

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I just caught my Swedes loading themselves up and buying plane tickets! A steel rod and a wood dowel?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #16

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I just caught my Swedes loading themselves up and buying plane tickets! A steel rod and a wood dowel?
That's too funny.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dry ice, some welding gloves........
Or, you could heat the metal rod with an oxy/acetylene torch until it burns the wood to the point where it comes free. Then you're back to the original problem, but you've made progress. Wrap the barrel in wet cloth to provide evaporative cooling and just heat the rod.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."