Brutal Bore Jam
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Brutal Bore Jam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Brutal Bore Jam

Hello, first time poster here
I have made a mistake which leaves me too ashamed to go to the local gunsmith. If it comes down to it I suppose I will but I'd like all of your help first.
I have a 1908 Swedish Mauser.
I was out a proper cleaning rod at the time and I used a wooden stick to clean the bore, pushing it through with a metal rod. It stopped at one point so I (stupidly) got a mallet and tapped it down. As it turned out the metal rod had split the wooden stick in two and wedged right down the middle. So I've got a metal rod stuck in place with wood surrounding it- stuck in such a stubborn and inveterate manner that even after I (stupidly) continued pounding it, it didn't budge. It's stuck in there as if cemented in place. I have two ideas-

1. Use laboratory grade sulfuric acid to dissolve the wood. I do not want to do further damage to the rifling which I fear this may do.

2. Freeze the bore, thereby make the wood brittle and vulnerable to more hammering. I fear this will compromise the steel's stability, however.

I recognize the foolishness of these ideas but unless we can solve this by those ideas or other means, I'll have to bring it to the gunsmith and live with extreme shame. Any ideas folks? Can post photos if necessary. Thanks for taking time to read.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Wow...welcome to the forum.
Stop by the introductions section and introduce yourelf.

Is the end of the metal rod still sticking out?
I assume so since you were hammering on it.
Maybe smash a set of vice grips around the rod and then whack the grips with a hammer trying to back it out the way you put it in.. It will maybe pull the rod out of the wood. Hammering it in is just wedging it tighter.
If that doesnt work just take it to a gunsmith. Trust me, they've seen worse.
Now if you pour acid down the bore, then have to take it to a 'smith, that would probably be one of the worst they've ever seen.
DO NOT do this. It would make for a really nasty, toxic situation instead of just a simple mechanical problem.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Don't use the acid. How much rod is sticking out? Is it out the muzzle or the breach? What kind of metal is it? If it is sticking out the muzzle, get a piece of 1x or 2x lumber, drill a hole in it slightly larger than the rod, this will help protect the crown from any further damage. Put the vicegrips close to the wood and pry between the grips and the wood. pry as straight as possible. chances are if you used a steel rod you've already damaged the bore. How large is the stick in the bore. You can heat the barrel to expand it but don't get it over 400 degrees. The other option is to vise the rod and try to turn the barrel while pulling on it. Some people would say get a bigger hammer, Don't, it will only get worse. If you have enough sticking out you could try an impact hammer on the vise grips to rattle it out.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 03-14-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

dteed has a good suggestion. Give it a try, but whatever you do, do not freeze the barrel or use a chemical on it. It went in, it will come out. Just take it out the same direction that it went in.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bend the metal rod in a 90 degree bend (will keep the vise grips from slipping), apply vise grips TIGHTLY to the rod, hammer the vise grips to remove the rod the same way it went in, take a proper size cleaning rod and knock the wood out. You may have to turn the rod to get it out. You likely have damaged the bore already.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #6

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Where are you located? Can you post a pic so we can get a look? Maybe someone is in your area that wouldn't mind lending a hand.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #7

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I would think twice before puting any liquid in the barrel. You could make the wood swell up. Like puting a loose hammer in a bucket of water. It makes the hanlde swell up inside the head.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #8

Thanks for the quick replies fellas, much obliged.

I have tried heating the barrel as oer dteed's recommendation, but to no avail. Going to attempt the grips next but it will be tricky, I was not entirely clear about the nature of the problem.

The metal rod is sticking out of the breach, not the muzzle.
After the rod first became stuck in the wood, I continued hammering it in through the muzzle. I then used a metal rod the exact width of the barrel to continue to hammer it in, hoping to get it through the other side. I made some progress, getting the rod at least halfway out of the breach, until it finally became stuck so fiercely that no more progress in this manner was possible.

It will be difficult to get vice grips into the chamber but I'll see what I can do.
Once this problem is resolved, is there a method of resurfacing or otherwise smoothing a bore? Thanks again for all of your help.

@rick
I am right in the middle of California's coastline, the Monterey Bay area.

im001943.jpg   im001944.jpg  

Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry to say this but I would bet that the rod did not stay in the middle of the wood rod and you probably damaged the barrel already.

I hope I am mistaken though.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #10

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Use the acid. Actually, bad idea. But if you do, take video

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com