Browning Hi-Power Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Browning Hi-Power Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Browning Hi-Power Question

Traded for a Mk III. The previous owner wasn't the original owner, so I have no idea of total round count, but it doesn't look all that used.

The person I got it from changed the hammer, sear, trigger spring and recoil spring. And either he, or someone up the ownership chain, disabled (or whatever you do to it) the magazine safety.

The gun shoots great and has so far (~500 rounds from me) had zero firing malfunctions. But I have noticed one strange thing: the safety often won't engage. It happens mostly after firing a round or more, and sometimes after I just rack the slide. The slide is in battery. If I pull back on the hammer, as if thumb-cocking it, the safety will then engage. It behaves as if there's something that doesn't quite reset unless I rack the slide really hard.

Ideas?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Have you completely stripped it for a deep cleaning?

Often if grease is used grit will build up and the safety lug will hang up. Your hard rack may just be moving some grit around.

NOTE: If you have not had a BHP apart before, be sure you have a manual and take photos as it comes apart. This makes assembly much easier!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2561 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

UTF,

I would be getting that to a competent gunsmith ASAP! As far as the Magazine Safety that is certainly not a loss regarding it's removal. I have no use for Magazine Safeties. I think that is the stupidest thing any weapon company ever came up with. But I would be concerned about the weapon at this point, it's internals and take it to someone who is very knowledgeable concerning the Browning HI Power. Sounds like a jack leg mechanic not a gunsmith has certainly messed some things up, which also concerns me as far as safety issues.
Hopefully some of the great folks here on the FTF are very knowledgeable and can send you to the correct gunsmith or give direction regarding the Browning HP. They are fine pistols as long as someone does not mess them up! As Cane stated it could just be crud! If not off to the gunsmith!
But still concerned about all the part switching and why.

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-29-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A lot of times the back yard gunsmiths start modifying their guns and do not get them checked with someone who is qualified.
Take it a gunsmith who knows BHP's.

Any time another owner starts to replace parts it really scares me. Was the change for bad parts or the parts replaced for an upgrade?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
A lot of times the back yard gunsmiths start modifying their guns and do not get them checked with someone who is qualified.
Take it a gunsmith who knows BHP's.

Any time another owner starts to replace parts it really scares me. Was the change for bad parts or the parts replaced for an upgrade?
The parts were an upgrade. I got the originals, except for the recoil spring.

I did clean it when I got it, but only took apart the usual pieces: slide, barrel, recoil spring. I'll clean it more thoroughly and see if it helps. If it doesn't, I'll have somebody look it over/fix it.

Thanks for the good advice!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I've worked on HUNDREDS (yes that's correct) of Hi-Powers but can't recall this specific problem having popped up before. It sounds like someone screwed around with it when they took the magazine saftey out. If you send it to BrowninG they WILL NOT return the piece to you without a magazine saftey in it and will charge you for the parts. Though I'm retired now but I still have a LOT of HP parts and would be glad to help you out if your interested. Just let me know.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #7

Default borwning hi-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
UTF,

I would be getting that to a competent gunsmith ASAP! As far as the Magazine Safety that is certainly not a loss regarding it's removal. I have no use for Magazine Safeties. I think that is the stupidest thing any weapon company ever came up with. But I would be concerned about the weapon at this point, it's internals and take it to someone who is very knowledgeable concerning the Browning HI Power. Sounds like a jack leg mechanic not a gunsmith has certainly messed some things up, which also concerns me as far as safety issues.
Hopefully some of the great folks here on the FTF are very knowledgeable and can send you to the correct gunsmith or give direction regarding the Browning HP. They are fine pistols as long as someone does not mess them up! As Cane stated it could just be crud! If not off to the gunsmith!
But still concerned about all the part switching and why.
the magazine safety was put in to keep you from being shot with your own gun, how can that be stupid? If someone grabs your hi-power and you drop the mag the gun will not fire the round that is still in the chamber. The Hi-power like the 1911 was designed as a service weapon not a weekend plinker at the range.

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 10-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 497

If someone put after-market parts in your Browning, by all means take it to a competent gunsmith and have it checked out!!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #9

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Post deleted

Last edited by p35bhp55; 10-10-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #10

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Post deleted

Last edited by p35bhp55; 10-10-2013 at 06:10 PM.