Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Browning Hi-Power Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/browning-hi-power-question-45960/)

utf59 07-29-2011 08:50 PM

Browning Hi-Power Question

Traded for a Mk III. The previous owner wasn't the original owner, so I have no idea of total round count, but it doesn't look all that used.

The person I got it from changed the hammer, sear, trigger spring and recoil spring. And either he, or someone up the ownership chain, disabled (or whatever you do to it) the magazine safety.

The gun shoots great and has so far (~500 rounds from me) had zero firing malfunctions. But I have noticed one strange thing: the safety often won't engage. It happens mostly after firing a round or more, and sometimes after I just rack the slide. The slide is in battery. If I pull back on the hammer, as if thumb-cocking it, the safety will then engage. It behaves as if there's something that doesn't quite reset unless I rack the slide really hard.

Ideas?

canebrake 07-29-2011 09:56 PM

Have you completely stripped it for a deep cleaning?

Often if grease is used grit will build up and the safety lug will hang up. Your hard rack may just be moving some grit around.

NOTE: If you have not had a BHP apart before, be sure you have a manual and take photos as it comes apart. This makes assembly much easier!

Sniper03 07-29-2011 10:01 PM

UTF,

I would be getting that to a competent gunsmith ASAP! As far as the Magazine Safety that is certainly not a loss regarding it's removal. I have no use for Magazine Safeties. I think that is the stupidest thing any weapon company ever came up with. But I would be concerned about the weapon at this point, it's internals and take it to someone who is very knowledgeable concerning the Browning HI Power. Sounds like a jack leg mechanic not a gunsmith has certainly messed some things up, which also concerns me as far as safety issues.
Hopefully some of the great folks here on the FTF are very knowledgeable and can send you to the correct gunsmith or give direction regarding the Browning HP. They are fine pistols as long as someone does not mess them up! As Cane stated it could just be crud! If not off to the gunsmith!
But still concerned about all the part switching and why.

JohnJak 07-30-2011 03:29 PM

A lot of times the back yard gunsmiths start modifying their guns and do not get them checked with someone who is qualified.
Take it a gunsmith who knows BHP's.

Any time another owner starts to replace parts it really scares me. Was the change for bad parts or the parts replaced for an upgrade?

utf59 07-31-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJak (Post 552861)
A lot of times the back yard gunsmiths start modifying their guns and do not get them checked with someone who is qualified.
Take it a gunsmith who knows BHP's.

Any time another owner starts to replace parts it really scares me. Was the change for bad parts or the parts replaced for an upgrade?

The parts were an upgrade. I got the originals, except for the recoil spring.

I did clean it when I got it, but only took apart the usual pieces: slide, barrel, recoil spring. I'll clean it more thoroughly and see if it helps. If it doesn't, I'll have somebody look it over/fix it.

Thanks for the good advice!

Vearl Brown 08-09-2011 10:07 PM

I've worked on HUNDREDS (yes that's correct) of Hi-Powers but can't recall this specific problem having popped up before. It sounds like someone screwed around with it when they took the magazine saftey out. If you send it to BrowninG they WILL NOT return the piece to you without a magazine saftey in it and will charge you for the parts. Though I'm retired now but I still have a LOT of HP parts and would be glad to help you out if your interested. Just let me know.

triggerman770 08-14-2011 01:59 PM

borwning hi-power

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 552444)
UTF,

I would be getting that to a competent gunsmith ASAP! As far as the Magazine Safety that is certainly not a loss regarding it's removal. I have no use for Magazine Safeties. I think that is the stupidest thing any weapon company ever came up with. But I would be concerned about the weapon at this point, it's internals and take it to someone who is very knowledgeable concerning the Browning HI Power. Sounds like a jack leg mechanic not a gunsmith has certainly messed some things up, which also concerns me as far as safety issues.
Hopefully some of the great folks here on the FTF are very knowledgeable and can send you to the correct gunsmith or give direction regarding the Browning HP. They are fine pistols as long as someone does not mess them up! As Cane stated it could just be crud! If not off to the gunsmith!
But still concerned about all the part switching and why.

the magazine safety was put in to keep you from being shot with your own gun, how can that be stupid? If someone grabs your hi-power and you drop the mag the gun will not fire the round that is still in the chamber. The Hi-power like the 1911 was designed as a service weapon not a weekend plinker at the range.:eek:

therukh 10-10-2013 01:54 AM

If someone put after-market parts in your Browning, by all means take it to a competent gunsmith and have it checked out!!

p35bhp55 10-10-2013 02:46 PM

Post deleted

p35bhp55 10-10-2013 03:05 PM

Post deleted