Browning BAR Cycling Problem

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Browning BAR Cycling Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning BAR Cycling Problem

Hello,
I recently field stripped my Browning BAR (Belgium .30-06 Circa 1990), and now it won't cycle a new round with each shot fired. It seems to shoot fine, but I have to manually pull the slide in order to eject the expended round and chamber a new round. I have been unable to find a good schematic so that I can see what I did wrong during the reassembly. The owner's manual hasn't been much help. If anyone knows of an easy to read schematic or series of pictures or videos which would be helpful, please forward link.
Thank you,
Louis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It seems you didn't reassemble the gas system properly.
Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

I'm local and can take a look at it.323-722-3903

Southern California
Anything legal , rifles , handguns , shotguns , black powder

Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm NOT saying that this is your problem but---I have seen these rifles reassembled and getting the piston lined up properly. There is a grove in the piston that MUST be lined up with the guide pin in the gas cylinder. If it is not (or if the piston is put in backwards) it "turns the gas off" and the rifle wont recycle at all. I know that this sounds "DUMB" but I have personally seen this done on more than one customers rifles. You want a picture go to BrowninG's web site and pull up their parts book. ALL their current production guns are in there and you can down load and print out anything you want.
A GOOD rule of thumb is "If it worked before you done something to it and it DON'T work afterwards---Then what ever you done was WRONG " !!!