broken sight mount base screw in receiver

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > broken sight mount base screw in receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default broken sight mount base screw in receiver

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a broken screw out of the front receiver ring on A Remington bolt gun without mucking up the threads? A friend was putting on a scope base and broke off one of the screws...

Thanks

mtnsmith

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsmith View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a broken screw out of the front receiver ring on A Remington bolt gun without mucking up the threads? A friend was putting on a scope base and broke off one of the screws...

Thanks

mtnsmith
Drill a very small hole in the center of the broken screw, then use an Easy Out. A drill press if available will help to not damage the threads. Good luck, easy outs aint easy.

easyout.jpg  

Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beat your friend over the head with the gun and see if that loosens the screw.

If the head screw is just broken off, you can always cut a flat-head notch in the top of the screw's body to back it out with a flat head screw driver. I've done it once or twice like that, but it wasnt on a gun. Whatever you decide to do, go slow so not to cause more issues for yourself.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

CAREFULLY drill out the center of the screw IF there's no room to slot the top of it. You'll have to make your own easy out if you can't find 1 that small. You'll have to adjust the drill press to a S L O W setting to keep the bit from bending. here's a broken screw remover from Brownells-you'll need the "M3" It's a combo bit/extractor.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6838/Product/MICROGRABIT_reg__SCREW_EXTRACTOR

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have gone the route of drilling the screw and then using a slightly oversized torqs screw driver and giving it a rap with a light hammer and unscewing it thar way.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

If the screw is not bottomed out in the hole, it should come out quite easily. A tiny center punch mark off to one side will usually let you move it with the punch or with a scribe. When mount screw heads break off, it is often an indication that the screw was too hard (brittle). This means that drilling will be difficult. In 35 years of gunsmithing, I'm sure I've removed a thousand broken scope mount screws and most were removed with a punch and/or scribe. Patience and care are key. GD

Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The worst scenario is if it is broken off at an angle rather than 90 degrees from the axis. You might need lots of tools if that is the case. A jig to hold the gun still, a drill press, possibly even a very small grinder bit to prep the broken screw for a drilling. Then drill, and reverse tap with an Easy Out.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I hate easy outs, they work half the time and break the other half which makes a real mess. That's in the automotive field though. You'll be at an advantage since gun hardware doesn't get tightened as much.

Before you start drilling I would highly recommend using a center punch to make a dimple in the center of the screw so your drill doesn't skate around on top. It will also help you stay centered if the screw isn't broken off flat. Whatever you do, go slow...very slow.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer