BOSS muzzle brake
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > BOSS muzzle brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default BOSS muzzle brake

Does anyone have an idea where to purchase a Browning BOSS brake setup? Any experience with them and their performance? I have a customer who'd like me to find and install on his X-bolt.
Thanks, Curtis - High Energy Arms.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 544

The Browning BOSS system is not a muzzle brake. It is a way to tune your barrel to control barrel harmonics. I would call Browning to buy the BOSS system if you cannot find it at midway/Brownells/Numrich. I really doubt you will find a used BOSS system but stranger things have happened.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail.asp?fid=028J&cid=114&tid=001

Browning sells them. Google is your friend.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
The link is not for an entire BOSS system. On the factory BOSS system the weight is drilled to act as a muzzle brake. The link is just for the weight section without the holes, so you still get the tuning effect of BOSS without the earsplitting noise of a muzzle brake. The trade off is that you don't get the recoil reduction of a muzzle brake either, so they call it CR, for Conventional Recoil.

Do a search for "barrel tuner", there are several systems available that do the same thing as the BOSS.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 PM   #5

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

They are sweet. .300 win mag scary accurate.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 PM   #6

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
They are sweet. .300 win mag scary accurate.

Not mine by the way. Dad's.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jittychitty View Post
Does anyone have an idea where to purchase a Browning BOSS brake setup? Any experience with them and their performance? I have a customer who'd like me to find and install on his X-bolt.
Thanks, Curtis - High Energy Arms.
The BOSS is a harmonic tuner that will adjust to a particular load, bullet weight and velocity of any given ammo. If you take it apart, you will find a delrin wedge sitting in a machined groove in the barrel. The device "torques" against this wedge with a lock ring to adjust barrel harmonics. It is not a brake in the true sense. I had a 7mm mag Browning A-bolt that had this gimmick on it....waste of money IMO

Also, if you shoot in the prone or over a truck hood, be ready for a dirt bath and singed paint.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
The BOSS is a harmonic tuner that will adjust to a particular load, bullet weight and velocity of any given ammo. If you take it apart, you will find a delrin wedge sitting in a machined groove in the barrel. The device "torques" against this wedge with a lock ring to adjust barrel harmonics. It is not a brake in the true sense. I had a 7mm mag Browning A-bolt that had this gimmick on it....waste of money IMO

Also, if you shoot in the prone or over a truck hood, be ready for a dirt bath and singed paint.
Could you explain how the muzzle brake version of BOSS differs from a "true" brake?

Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Could you explain how the muzzle brake version of BOSS differs from a "true" brake?
The BOSS does not vector high pressure gas to assist in felt recoil. It only bleeds gas from holes around its circumference.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
The BOSS does not vector high pressure gas to assist in felt recoil. It only bleeds gas from holes around its circumference.
OK, I see the distinction, but the gas that gets bled off sideways doesn't go out the muzzle, where it would push the rifle backwards. It's a design decision, by having the ports go straight out the noise directed at the shooter is probably somewhat less than it would be if the gasses were directed backwards. I suspect that noise is quite adequate as it is.