Bore coat - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Bore coat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Used correctly, the Outers Foul-Out system will remove every trace of copper from the bore. It does NOT happen in one iteration however. Scrubbing and degreasing both the bore and the stainless rod may be required several times along with changing out the solvent.

I have had to hand lap one rifle barrel in the last 25 years. And that was a NOS 2-groove barrel I installed on a 1903-A3 Springfield (Remington). My borescope showed that barrel looked like it was rifled with a dull butter knife at the factory. It would actually shred a patch pushed though the bore.

Hand lapping saved that barrel, but that is not a job for the faint of heart. Extreme care must be employed - especially at the throat and muzzle to prevent belling. I would want to see exactly what it is in that bore before taking a lead lap to it myself. Is it built up copper, carbon, rough machining, or pitting?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Copper fouling

I will not be hand lapping the bore. I bought 8 books last winter from the Midway best books to get book. It was emphasised that experience was necessary to get it done right. I am one of those guys that can do whatever it is I want to do. I have learned to read, and ask questions in these kind of forums before tearing up something like a gun. Or any other thing I may be tinkering with. Some things require experience not confidence/handiness to do. I have examined the muzzle area with a strong light and a 10x loupe and I cant see the kind of rougness I would expect to cause this. I have guns that look much worse that do not foul at all. I have the barrel absolutely clean now and I will be trying the Bore Coat system. Maybe I will be the one to report back about how it works.

Alvah

Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I would STRONGLY recommend hand lapping the bore. It seems to me that hand lapping the bore should eliminate your problem. I don't recommend the Tubb system as hand lapping is MUCH more precise without removing metal that don't need to be removed-such as the Tubb system does. Hand lap your barrel and see what a difference it makes. Hand lapping affords precision due to the fact you can feel burrs or tight spots, and concentrate on those tight spots to make your barrel uniform and without burrs in the rifling.

Above!

N.D.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #14

Sorry I replyed three times before I was able to read the very quick screen notice saying my post will not be posted till an administrator views it. Please disregard two of the three postings, all three basically says the same thing. Good luck with it. Thanks

Old 05-07-2010, 03:42 AM   #15

I just wanted to let you know I have DIY Kits for Ultra Bore Coat available if you were interested in trying it out.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Old 09-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #16

Are you usin Barnes bullets in this rifle?